This tug was originally designed by the Army for World War II and later sold to private concerns for use in harbors and rivers throughout the country.
One such tug is on display and does do harbor tours in Los Angeles CA. Her name is “ANGELS GATE”. She was built in 1944 in Decatur, Alabama for the Army Transportation Service, she was originally known as ST (small tug) 695, and was among the fleet of tugboats designed for overseas operations. ST-695 primarily served at the Army Port of Embarkation in Wilmington, California. After the war, the Army declared ST-695 “surplus” and she was sold to the City of Los Angeles Harbor Department (now known as the Port of Los Angeles), where she worked steadily until her “retirement” and transfer to the Museum in 1992.
In 1973 & 1974 Francis Smith developed the plans and built the prototype that shows him in July 2004. He is holding a copy of the December 1974 issue of Model Builder Magazine. Then he built a second model as he was writing the building instructions and the Model Builder magazine article. That is the one shown in the construction pictures in the magazine.