I was amazed today to meet Mark (cujo78) on here who brought his seaplane tender for me to view. His has already had rc fitted and we had a drive in the Chichester canal today. Two survivors from the early 1960's kit. Mine is having a new prop shaft fitted but we hope to get them both together in the near future.
hmm you have a good point Martin but one small problem, the old motor turns well by hand but I have not been able to get it to go electrically. It's probable that the brushes aren't making contact with the commutator.
I have cheated a bit and asked a friend to look at changing the rudder about as the settable pond type is too small to be effective (see photo). also the prop shaft is rattling in it's casing so that looks like a replacement with a modern one too. Still unsure about what motor to use.
Thanks Doug I am hoping to keep the livery as is and assume this was 360 before the loan. She is watertight and the cabin is a case of realigning the window panels. I am still in contact with the old owner and want him to recognize it next time he sees it.
Having identified the boat the restoration starts... I was given the boat about 10 years ago but had done nothing with it. Finally I decided it was it's turn to be made operational. With the help of many on here the boat was identified as a kit built seaplane tender belonging to the RAF. Once it was established as a 41.5 ft version I looked at their history and decided that 360 had the best story having been loaned to the SOE during the war and had taken part in some agent landings and recoveries. The Boat was built in the late 50s/early 60s as a pond boat powered by 3 Every ready cardboard wrapped 4.5 batteries in series powering a Bassett lowke marine motor. Steered by a sprung set rudder. The decision to try and keep the finish as original as possible was easy but throws up some problems. I want radio control in the boat and have a nice large cabin to house it in but the rudder has no significant stem to attach a servo to so a new rudder is needed with an above waterline shaft. The Motor... Do I use that one or replace it with something modern. The cabin roof was warped ( see thread titled warped wood)
Warp drive eh I will klingon to that one.😆 Pugs faces are meat to look broken. I put the roof in water Saturday and put a bowl of water on top as a weight with a couple of cocktail sticks to add a reverse warp. i have just tried it and it isn't perfect but far better. other side is flush and the warp reduced to a 4mm gap at one end.
Don't worry, i deliberately put the question on a separate thread to my Seaplane Tender thread as I knew it could answer other peoples problems too. So we have gone from warped wood to electrical bridges. That is how conversations between friends go.
I am going to test the motor but as it ran on 13.5volts 3X4.5V I think I would need to attach it to the car to get period electricity. If I change it then you are welcome to the old one. I am a bit concerned with the rudder as it has no stem to attach a servo on to. A friend is ging to help me so will get his expert advise.
This is a boat given to me a while ago and deserves resurrecting. Before I do anything to her what kit was it? Does anyone recognize it? i'm not sure If I can get those battery's anymore! Parts of it are numbered with ST then a number
Landing craft (Tank) 548 a world war 2 Landing craft with Sherman tank and truck carrying British markings of the divisions landing at Normandy. Landing craft is running 2.4 ghz radio gear with 3 channels in use. I brought this second hand and am steadily improving it. Getting the ramp to work properly was the first struggle. See photo gallery for more information.
Wow thank you all for your posts, my problem was the technical description with not many pictures I just couldn't understand what went where and why. I shall now look at the links provided and hopefully be able to sail mine for the first time in over a year of ownership.