• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Save £50 when you join Bulb
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Age of steam
    by CaptLarry πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ ( Master Seaman)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    25 Posts 24 Replies 6 Photos 40 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    RonH
    Leading Seaman
    πŸ“ Age of steam
    Flag
    Online: 4 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Gary, Thank you for your concern. I have a new pressure gauge that I will be mounting. The safety valve is set to 60 lbs and it does work (Tested it and test it every year priot to spring sails).
    In building the boiler I hydro tested the boiler to 150 lbs. The outside copper tube for the boiler wall is 0.100 thick and the end caps are 0.090 thick. It has 9 fire tubes and is silvered soldered together. The smoke dome on top where there is a loop of stainless steel tubing (used for a dryer) under the hood. The motor is about 70 years old and is 5/8 X 5/8 oscillator built by a fellow named Anthony Bohaboy out of Rahway NJ. The kitchen rudder is used as there is no reversing in a single cylinder engine and it works quite well. The boat is fiberglass where I made a plug then a mold. The boat is not finished as I have some copping and interior work to do, Boat is 36" long with a 12" beam and weighs 26 lbs. I do like your boat, it looks very nice. I just acquired a Diana hull and deck with the deck planking and some of the anterior is completed
    RonH
    GaryLC
    Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class
    πŸ“ Age of steam
    Flag
    Online: 1 day ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I am also quite intrigued by your video, as the pressure gauge shows zero pressure and the boat is steaming along at a fair speed. I would hazard a guess there is at least 20 PSI steam pressure in your boiler considering the engine's speed. I suggest you get the pressure gauge sorted in order the calibrate the pressure release valve, more so for your own safety than anything else. Besides that minor problem, I loved your video and let's have more steam-powered boats on this website. Regards, Gary.
    Gary Steam Marine, the only way to go.
    GaryLC
    Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class
    πŸ“ Age of steam
    Flag
    Online: 1 day ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hello CaptLarry, and you are very welcome on this site as there is very little doing with regard to Steam. There are two valves you can use for throttle control one is a rotary valve which is complex, difficult to get hold of and expensive. then there is a lever-operated valve from Cleveden Steam U/K, not expensive and used in most of my steamboats very successfully. I would strongly recommend this one to you, and Cleveden Steam is a very good source for most steam fittings. Hoping this helps, regards Gary.
    Gary Steam Marine, the only way to go.
    RonH
    Leading Seaman
    πŸ“ Age of steam
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Did you make thi or was it offered commercially?
    RonH
    RonH
    Leading Seaman
    πŸ“ Age of steam
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thank you for the reply. The boat is over 30 years old. The boiler walls are 0.100 inches thick with the end plate the same thickness. It was originally 5 tube boiler. The burner is a Optimus back pack stove that I modified. The burner and 5 tube boiler did not build up that much steam, not enough burner. Added 4 more tubes and that seemed to help. In running, I fill the boiler up to valve near the top or the sight glass to get the longest run, a little over 30 minutes. She the boat first goes into the water ther is some priming going on but it settles down once heated and the water level goes down a bit. I believe the gauge does work as if I leave the boat sit it will go up. I have another gauge and should swap it out or test the one I m using. With running low pressure you do get a longer run. Thank you for the reply.
    RonH
    Lyle
    Petty Officer 2nd Class
    πŸ“ Age of steam
    Flag
    Online: 2 months ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Mate, I like your oscillating engine and your great video. I have been steaming for eons and am fascinated at the steam pressure gauge at the start registering pressure , though I cannot read the actual pressure gauge numbers and what seems a lot of condensate ( so what ) and after a short while the pressure gauge drops to near zero or thereabouts and stays there for the full run and yet your water gauge glass is so very FULL ( yippee) , such a good pump till it, the glass water gauge eventually shows it has not too much reservoiur water left for the run and the pressure gauge STILL shows near zero to indicate the end of the run , do you have a faulty pressure gauge ? Maybe the Mamoli tube should be inverted to the pressure gauge as you may have it filled with water? I do not know. On another matter, my club Webb identity picture shows my model 56 inch Cervia steam engined Tug which I replaced the Stuart 10 to the Stuart twin 5/8 bore and stroke same as yours ? I think, which may be their still selling 11mm or so bore and stroke (me, still imperial and not modern ). My little twin pushes the Cervia displacement 44lbs hull like a rocket , such power. In my latest model build I am struggling with a 46 inch long hull with a Stuart 10 twin AND it is the Kitchen rudder ( that is the struggle) which I have done several times. My mate who is "radio modern" says he will fix/train my transmitter 2.4 ghz on his computer my two rudder cup servos to do "mixing " like Ailerons to impart opposite throws so that the Kitchen cups will then turn such that "I have left and right rudder" in addition to normal opening and closing of the Kitchen rudder cups. I was not to impressed with the threaded screw tiller and the triangular wings mine is ALL brass to impart strength, as you have ALL on a base that imparts steering .I just found I lacked hull room for a swivelling base in my needing a beefy apparatus, as it weighs about 20 to 26 pounds at a guess, so far a lot of finishing still needed ,I love to build big, such is . Though I got off the track, your thoughts on the pressure gauge may be revealing to me ! Regards Lyle.
    RonH
    Leading Seaman
    πŸ“ Re: Age of steam
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    This is my first Video down load so be patient, might of posted it in the wrong forum section.
    Length 36" beam 12" Boat is scratch built and the boiler is scratch built 9 fire tube. Burner is a modified Optimus back pack stove and uses Coleman lantern fuel (white gas). Boat has a kitchen rudder but this video really does not show it, unless you notice some fancy turns. Engine was made by Anthony Bahaboy (Late 40's) out of Rahway NJ USA. It has a 5/8 bore and a 5/8 stroke with a packing as piston rings. I get a little more than a 30 minute run.
    More to come
    GEDC4399
    ▢️
    RonH
    RonH
    Leading Seaman
    πŸ“ Age of steam
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Mine works the same way. This looks commercial as I built mine with all metal.
    I have the photos just need to find them and my book/notes on the kitchen rudder. Want to post all of my information with the pictures. I am also looking on posting videos on you tube as I am a novice, but do not want to pay the you tube price. I see that there are others alternatives for posting on-you tube. Have a video with a camera that was mounted on board and want to put this on you tube as "Taking A Ride On Steamboat Willie". just have to learn😊
    RonH
    Julio
    Leading Seaman
    πŸ“ Age of steam
    Flag
    Online: 5 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi:
    something like this, perhaps?
    Martin555
    Rear Admiral
    πŸ“ Age of steam
    Flag
    Online: 5 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi RonH,
    Do these help?

Martin555.
    If it looks right it probably is.
    Show 15 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info