• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!

Login to Remove Ads
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Mtronics switcher
    by mturpin013 ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ( Vice Admiral)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    11 Posts 10 Replies 6 Photos 14 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    mturpin013
    Vice Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ Mtronics switcher
    Flag
    Online: 15 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Doug, nice to here from you and as usual a very detailed explanation which is greatly received.
    Now to these Mtronics switchers, I usually use the Turnigy Receiver Controlled Switch with Maximum throughput : 10A / 30v, however a friend was gifted these with other bits and pieces and he asked me if I could get them working and I was curious as to there operation, so will recommend to him to only use these if he has a low powered requirement.
    So again many thanks for your continued support.
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ Mtronics switcher
    Flag
    Online: 2 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Graham & Michael,
    Ref: "you could substitute a horn, pump or radar rotation motor."
    Michael; Don't get too enthusiastic with the loads / functions you want to switch !
    Your Switcher is a very tiny device and, as suspected; looking at the description and, rather sparse, manual on the Mtroniks site
    https://www.mtroniks.net/prod/RC-Accessories/microSwitcher.h...
    it seems that the switched outputs are limited to 50mA !!
    Presumably direct from the logic IC outputs with no output driver stage due to the small package.
    Thus if you want to use it for a higher load, e.g. a radar motor, you would need to put a relay or switching transistor, with associated transistor driver, in between.
    Bit of a faff about if you ask me (which some still do๐Ÿ˜‰) since there are higher power switchers on the market - have a look at Component Shop Action Electronics range.
    The 'manual' BTW is seemingly daft, everything repeated in four columns and UPSIDE DOWN on the website?? ๐Ÿ™„
    Since the total load current capability of this switcher is only 100mA I can't see any need for a separate battery. A half decent RX battery or BEC will hardly notice an extra 100mA. I typically use a 4.8 or 6V NiMh battery depending on the RX specs. Or in simple installations, i.e. just rudder servo and ESC, I let the BEC of the ESC take the strain.

So, with 50mA per output what can you do?
    (Graham93, Dave976 (alias M) and similar members, can switch off here, as this is 'old hat' for them!๐Ÿ˜‰)

A. Two 25mA LEDs in parallel. Each LED sipping 25mA. (0.025A) x 2 = 0.05A
    Dropping resistor for each LED: Given an RX battery voltage of 5V and Vf of 2.5V-
    R=(Vs-Vf)/0.025. or 2.5/0.025 = 100 Ohms. Which luckily happens one of the commonly available so called 'preferred values' ๐Ÿ˜€
    Vs = battery voltage,
    Vf = forward voltage drop of the LED., i.e. voltage at which it 'strikes' and lights up. Vf varies from ~2.0 to 3.0V but in my experience taking an average value of 2.5V is good enough.

B. Using a separate battery: any number of LEDs of up to 50mA current draw in series, as long as your battery is of high enough voltage.
    Typical current would be 20 -30mA and in my experience taking a 25mA average will do nicely without any significant variation in brilliance.
    Formula: Vs=> VfxN. N = number of LEDs in the series chain.
    If your Vs is more than VfxN then you will need a dropping resistor to limit the current to ~25mA.
    Formula: R (ohms) = (Vs - (VfxN))/I
    E.g. Given a battery voltage of 12V and Vf of 2.5V and 4 LEDs-
    R = (12-10)/0.025 ---> 80 Ohms.
    Given the switcher max current of 50mA it should handle two such '25mA chains in parallel.

BTW: Much has been made on this site (and others) of the need for different resistors for LEDs of different colours, in my experience, and experimentation with standard 3mm, 5mm and SMD LEDs, the average values given above can be used with impunity.
    NOTE: If using special hi-power/hi-brightness LEDs other values may apply! Check the specs!!

Hope this helps a little to demystify and simplify things.
    Cheers, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    PS to Graham: I can't see what purpose Jacko's extra diodes should serve either.
    https://www.mtroniks.net/prod/RC-Accessories/microSwitcher.htm
    ๐Ÿ”—
    Young at heart ๐Ÿ˜‰ Slightly older in other places.๐Ÿ˜Š Cheers Doug
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ Mtronics switcher
    Flag
    Online: 2 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Graham,
    Ref your diagram-
    Right on shipmate๐Ÿ‘
    BRAVO ZULU that man!
    ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Young at heart ๐Ÿ˜‰ Slightly older in other places.๐Ÿ˜Š Cheers Doug
    mturpin013
    Vice Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ Mtronics switcher
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Your a star Graham, always willing to help, and always comes up with the answer.
    Many thanks
    Graham93
    Rear Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ Mtronics switcher
    Flag
    Online: 1 hour ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Jacko,

The LEDs could be for any purpose on the boat. Iโ€™ve only used LEDs as an example as you could substitute a horn, pump or radar rotation motor.

I donโ€™t understand the diodes you have added to the diagram. I canโ€™t see that they serve any purpose.

The diagram is intended to show how the switcher can be used with the receiver battery, and with a separate battery (possibly of a different voltage). There is no need to use two batteries with the switcher - Iโ€™m just illustrating what can be done with it.

Graham93
    jacko
    Lieutenant Commander
    ๐Ÿ“ Mtronics switcher
    Flag
    Online: 2 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    mod 1.. to your drawing if led 2 where the running lights and led 1 was the interior lights would this work ??
    Graham93
    Rear Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ Mtronics switcher
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Michael,

Here's a diagram showing how to connect LEDs to your switcher. I've shown one switcher output connected to a LED powered from the receiver battery, and the second switcher output connected to a LED powered from a separate battery.

Graham93
    Graham93
    Rear Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ Mtronics switcher
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Michael,

You have a choice. You can use the receiver battery to power your LEDs or you can use a separate battery.

If you use a separate battery, you will need to connect the negative (ground) on both batteries together.

Iโ€™ll draw some diagrams tomorrow (need to use my desktop for that)

Graham93
    mturpin013
    Vice Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ Mtronics switcher
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Graham, thanks for that but I bet its really frustrating when a non electric still has another question ๐Ÿ˜
    Is the "battery" the same battery that powers the receiver? therefore the GND goes to that receiver battery negative?๐Ÿค”
    Graham93
    Rear Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ Mtronics switcher
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Michael

โ€˜Switch to GNDโ€™ means that the switcher connects the output to ground (0v) when the output is turned on.

Connect the LED -ve lead to one of the switcher outputs. Connect the LED +ve lead to battery positive through a current limiting resistor.

Hope that helps
    Graham93
    Show 1 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info