• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!

Login To
    Remove Ads
    Login To
    Remove Ads

Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links
    What drawing software do you use?
    28 Posts ยท 11 Followers ยท 4 Photos ยท 74 Likes
    Began 29 days ago by
    Vice Admiral
    Canada
    Latest Post 25 days ago by
    Able Seaman
    Canada
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Barumite
    Able Seaman
    ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ Canada
    ๐Ÿ“ What drawing software do you use?
    Flag
    Online: 1 hour ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    You're welcome, Trev, just have fun with whatever you try, Paul
    Login To
    Remove Ads

pressonreguardless
    Captain
    ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ United States
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Thanks, Barumite,
    I just downloaded the trial version of Alibre.
    I like that they provide a quick start. I will give an update once i have tried it.
    Trev
    Barumite
    Able Seaman
    ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ Canada
    17 Views ยท 2 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 1 hour ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Excellent, Don't sell yourself short when it comes to learning something new. You might be surprised how quickly you pick this up.
    Just my opinion, but I believe it does us good no matter what our ages are, to try and experience new things in our lives, and what you are doing is a prime example. Well done.
    I personally have not used Fusion 360, but know of chaps that run the full-blown version to design,draw and run 5 Axis Machining centres, they love it. Obtaining things for free is great and I am onboard with doing the very same thing, I don't know what features are missing from the free version, I will be interested to hear how you are progressing in the coming weeks.
    I mentioned in my previous post on the software I currently use and have been since 2009.
    I went on to the Alibre website and had a poke around, which is something I don't normally do, however I did find a version for personal use called Atom3D. Had I been starting out in 3D modelling, I think it would have been worth considering. As well as free, I do like cheap also
    (who doesn't) At $149 US and $50 US yearly support it isn't breaking the bank. The onsite video does provide a good demo. Have fun๐Ÿ˜Š
    Paul
    pressonreguardless
    Captain
    ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ United States
    24 Views ยท 1 Like
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    OK, Ron
    I am downloading Fusion 360, full well knowing it is well over my head. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
    I'll be calling you for help!!๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ Just Kidding.
    All kidding aside, I did take mechanical drawing in High School, loved it. Shame I did not pursue it.
    Trev
    LewZ
    Warrant Officer
    ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ United States
    Flag
    Online: 8 seconds ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Yes, 123D Design support was discontinued several years ago but still downloads were available from other sites. There are also helpful videos for it on YouTube. Easy to use but also does some amazing results for its simplicity. The downside is Autodesk removed their library for 123D Design models and no one (like Thingiverse) has the version 123D files for download.

Lew
    Lew Zee (LewsModelBoats)
    Ron
    Vice Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ Canada
    29 Views ยท 1 Like
    Flag
    Online: 1 second ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I am looking at nanoCAD it has many similarities to the commands and placement of toolbars
    I reviewed the
    Introducing nanoCAD11 - Lesson 1
    Ron
    Vice Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ Canada
    Flag
    Online: 1 second ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Lew,

123D Design is no longer available. Autodesk has discontinued it.
    dave976
    Lieutenant Commander
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    45 Views ยท 3 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 5 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Stephen
    I have used Fusion 360 in the past ( the free version for non commercial use) and with certain restrictions on the number of active documents you can work on at any time it is fine for a hobbyist. You can save your non active documents and swop to active subject to a max 10 active so no real problem. I have just reinstalled a copy as my present PC did not have it installed. I found the installation challenging as you use Autodesk's site to install and need to select the UK site along the way (if UK based). You will be allocated a user name as well as the email address you register and I used the auto generated password. Finally got it working but unlike other programs the sign in will not pick up the saved username or password so you have to enter this manually each time. There may be a setting to avoid this but I just created a text file on my PC and copy and paste to the login screen. I could just change to a very simple password but I prefer a certain level of protection of my data.
    So there is no need to pay and it works with some effort to learn the program on the part of the user.

dave976
    fireboat
    Lieutenant Commander
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    40 Views ยท 4 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 1 day ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Iโ€™m confused now on Fusion 360. Iโ€™ve downloaded the free for personal use version. Iโ€™m sure if youโ€™re not generating an income above a certain threshold you can use that software for free? I think itโ€™d apply to most of us here using it just for our hobby?

Stephen
    We may not be able to control the wind ๐Ÿƒ but we can always adjust our sails โ›ต - MBW Admin
    LewZ
    Warrant Officer
    ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ United States
    50 Views ยท 3 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 8 seconds ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Ron, what Autodesk does, does not surprise me a bit. Both of my Autodesk products are not supported but still works for me. The 123D Design does act a little weird after I use it for a couple of days and I have to restart the app then I am OK for a while.

Fusion 360 right now is under $400 (US) per year "on sale" - wow, that is about eight times what I bought the Autosketch 9 for 10-12 years ago on a CD and still runs great (for me). Someone is selling it on Ebay for $39.99 US). There are tutorials on youTube if you want to look at it.

I just took a look at Delftship - looks interesting but is not for me. It looks rather "artistic" rather than functionable.

When I have a need for 2D drawings it usually for design parts, i.e., motor mounts, structures, etc., and if I need to do a whole boat because no drawings exist.

The majority of my of my CAD work is 3D modeling because I can print it. From servo mounts to superstructures and almost everything in between I use 123D Design solid modeling. Tonight I am working on a motor mount - its printing right now.

Lew
    Lew Zee (LewsModelBoats)
    Show 18 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info