• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!

Login To
    Remove Ads
    Login To
    Remove Ads

Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links
    Pulleys
    16 Posts ยท 7 Followers ยท 3 Photos ยท 37 Likes
    Began 10 days ago by
    Chief Petty Officer 1st Class
    United Kingdom
    Latest Post 7 days ago by
    United Kingdom
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Nickthesteam
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    ๐Ÿ“ Pulleys
    36 Views ยท 2 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Propwalk, aka paddlewheel effect. When I was a powerboat instructor in the Sea Cadets I used to demonstrate how propwalk could be used to advantage when manouvering in to a berth in a Champ or a Viking.
    If it don't fit, use a hammer to make it fit....
    Login To
    Remove Ads

HappyHaggis
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    ๐Ÿ“ Pulleys
    45 Views ยท 2 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 4 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Lew

Thanks for you're insight as I had forgotten about how it would affect the being able to turn on the spot handling I have just now. I'd never manage that with both props turning the same way. I mainly run on one prop as it is just now. Both get used for my last run back to the pond docks though with my oversized rudders I get very good low speed handling with the one prop. Nice to have the other as back up

Regards
    Scott
    Scott (Haggis) Scotland
    LewZ
    Warrant Officer
    ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ United States
    ๐Ÿ“ Pulleys
    50 Views ยท 3 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 2 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I understand what you're saying about the gearboxes Etc. I get into this with my other RC stuff (armor, other vehicles).

However, with the boats I try working out solutions that will make the boat perform much better. This is why I use the multiple motor controls.

With a single control for multiple motors it is harder to maneuver around obstacles. Individual controls allow for some accurate maneuvering at a decent speed. This more accurately replicates movement of a real boat as I have yet to see a real boat using one motor to control two propellers. (I'm not saying they don't exist, just that I have never seen one.) Just my opinion.

Lew
    Lew Zee (LewsModelBoats)
    HappyHaggis
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    ๐Ÿ“ Pulleys
    60 Views ยท 2 Likes
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Lew

My current project has two motors tow secs for differential control if needed though I have something for more complex setups. I don't like the norm of a simple setup ๐Ÿ™ˆ. I love the look of gearbox's and pulleys when you get the setup just right. My RC helicopters are an example as after every flight I take all the head components and gears to bits and service.

Just find something very enjoyable about it all rather than bringing my boat home for a quick clean then sitting in shelf. I'm a tinkerer and addicted to it. Many years ago I had two Graupner gearboxes connected via a prop shaft and a motor at an odd angle just for the enjoyment of finding ways to try get it to run smoothly ๐Ÿ˜…

Regards
    Scott
    Scott (Haggis) Scotland
    LewZ
    Warrant Officer
    ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ United States
    ๐Ÿ“ Pulleys
    59 Views ยท 4 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 2 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    All of my boats uses one motor per one shaft/prop. I have several two motor boats, one three motor boat and one four motor boat.

The two motor/shaft/prop boats use two ESCs for independent control. (The current price for a Hobbywing 1060 ESC is about $24 (USD). As was said previously, you get much better control with this configuration.

For my three motor/shaft/prop boat I use two ESCs, driving the outer motors and the middle motor is turned on and off by a servo activated switch for a single speed forward (I don't see a use for the middle motor to go in reverse).

My four motor/shaft/prop boat (photo) is basically the same as the three motor configuration. Two ESCs, drive the outer motors and the middle motors are on a servo activated switch for a single speed forward.

I don't have any gears, belts, etc., only direct drives. The less you have between the motor and the shaft the less chance of anything slipping or breaking.

Lew
    Lew Zee (LewsModelBoats)
    mturpin013
    Vice Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    ๐Ÿ“ Pulleys
    62 Views ยท 2 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 8 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    As Nick says you could put an idler pully in the revers the direction of one of the props, but it makes for a noisy set up the belt drives I used do have an idler pully available, check out the word document also the centre distance calculator is useful
    Len1
    Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class
    ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ United States
    ๐Ÿ“ Pulleys
    64 Views ยท 1 Like
    Flag
    Online: 1 hour ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    If you were to use 2 motors that are independently controlled it would make fine tuning for straight going very easy using the adjustments on the receiver (not sure what these adjustments are called) and it would make docking and turning in a sharp small circle very easy. I am not sure why you would need 2 rudders.
    LEN1
    Nickthesteam
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    ๐Ÿ“ Pulleys
    74 Views ยท 2 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    You just need an idler to reverse the direction of one shaft. I have loads of gt3 belt, I will put some in with your radomes...
    If it don't fit, use a hammer to make it fit....
    HappyHaggis
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    ๐Ÿ“ Pulleys
    78 Views ยท 2 Likes
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    That is literally what I'd like minus mine being a brushed setup. Where did you find those pulleys then belts from?

I currently have a twin prop setup and twin rudder. Mine both turn the same way though she doesn't have a turning effect and both rudders are at neutral trim. When using one motor just now she tracks almost straight as well.

Would the shape of my hull have a lot to do with this?
    Scott (Haggis) Scotland
    mturpin013
    Vice Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    ๐Ÿ“ Pulleys
    78 Views ยท 4 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 8 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Beware of driving two props with one motor I have tried this with toothed belts and it does turn 2 props however a 2 prop set up require the props to rotate in opposite direction otherwise your boat will have a permanent turning effect on a straight rudder I eventually went for twin motors make your way through the blog for more information.

blogs/101943#103273
    Show 6 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info