Many years ago I bought from an on line auction site an already built Deans kit of HMS Cossack circa 1940.
The builder built it as a static only model and she has never seen water,but the build quality was quite good.
It has laid on the shelf gathering dust ever since,including the resident ships spiders.
I have now decided to convert it to a working model.
Having just finished two refit blogs on HMS Belfast and HMS Verulam I really didn’t want to show another along the same lines as it would be a little too repetitive in my view.
Although it is going to be a total rebuild as she is an empty shell I decided I would perhaps just show various parts of the rebuild.
Please explore the photographs which speak a thousand words.
These were fixed in with a very strong type of glue and the shaft oiler pipes were buried deep in the glue and totally blocked.The retaining nuts were glued on as well.
Having removed the white metal propellers I was able to remove the shafts with gently tapping from a panel pin hammer.
I decided to convert the shafts into a shorter version and make A frames like the real thing.
Having cleaned the shaft up and soft soldered one of the oiler tubes back on I measured,marked and then cut the tube to the correct length for the hull.
I then faced the ends on the lathe and replaced the shaft inner bearings.
The A frames were then fashioned simply by bending some brass strip over two cut lengths of M4 brass tubing.
They were then soft soldered and allowed to cool.
Hopefully the photographs show it in more detain.
The shaft tubes were refitted and glued.
Once set the A frames were offered up and the hull bottom marked,drilled and filed to take the A frame arms.
Happy with that they were glued in place.
I will be using two brass propellers which I took from my stock box and all fitted on a dry run.These propellers are slightly over scale for the model but will give me more control with less revolutions from the motors.
This had just been glued in place and had to be knocked out with the trusty hammer.
The rudder post was only 2mm diameter so I made two copper fillets on the lathe and increased it to M4 diameter.
Once I had turned a new M4 rudder post tube and dry fitted it was glued in place.
In time I will fill in around the new frames and rudder the upon completion will be resprayed.
I hope this gives a little insite on how build your own shafts and A Frames and although a late is beneficial it is not essential as careful cutting and filing can produce good results.
Hope you enjoy.