• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Save £50 when you join Bulb
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Leaking Boat!
    by NPJ πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Warrant Officer)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    25 Posts 24 Replies 7 Photos 25 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Westquay
    Commander
    πŸ“ Leaking Boat!
    Flag
    Online: 2 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    NPJ, Dust isn't a problem until you come to refinishing. Do it all outside. I always spray outside and still do it up wind. Sprayed cellulose grey primer on my Crash Tender on Saturday and primer and off white enamel on my Chris Craft yesterday in a breeze, so stood upwind of it and all was well. Also rubbed down cellulose sanding sealer, dry. Dust just blew away.
    There's always a way round stuff.

Cheers,
    Martin
    NPJ
    Warrant Officer
    πŸ“ Leaking Boat!
    Flag
    Online: 4 months ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thank you Martin. I hope to try a bit of stripping later today to see what it is like.
    I will have to change my set-up to be able to deal with dust and over-spray. Worried about that.

Cheers.
    NPJ
    NPJ
    Westquay
    Commander
    πŸ“ Leaking Boat!
    Flag
    Online: 2 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Depends on the resin, NPJ. if it's epoxy you've bought, you need to weigh out 1/5th of the hardener to any amount of resin. Ergo...20 grams of resin, 4 grams of hardener. So get some electronic scales (very cheap and essential to the use of resin)put 20 grams in of resin and then, without touching the scales pour in drips of hardener till you have 24 or 25 grams showing on the scales. Don't go above that. Epoxy requires accuracy of measurement and endless mixing. Just mix and mix till you're fed up with it, then mix a bit more. Don't use large amounts as the heat from the curing of a large amount will set it off even quicker.
    Looking at your bottom picture, I see bubbles in the paint. Scrape them right off and see what's below. Probably soft wood, so scrape that out too and allow to dry thoroughly. Then in with the resin. if there's a bit of a dip, you can make your own filler by mixing fine sawdust with the resin into a peanut butter consistency and look and apply that to already wetted out surfaces. I used that on a full sized wooden canal boat. Worked a treat. When that's set, you can file it flat with a rasp and a second cut then wet'n'dry on a block to finish. Finally repaint and wax.
    But, as Doug says, you need to see if the water's getting in somewhere else like the shaft or rudder areas.

Good luck, Martin
    NPJ
    Warrant Officer
    πŸ“ Leaking Boat!
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Meant to refer to Colin as well.

Have resigned myself to this so will now move back to main thread.

If anything outstanding shows up on the leak then I will put it here also.

Thanks all.

TTFN.
    NPJ
    NPJ
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ Leaking Boat!
    Flag
    Online: 5 seconds ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Neville, thanks for the endorsementπŸ‘
    Just case of 'bin there - dun that - didn't work'
    Fixing a leak from the inside can never work properly. The water will continue to creep into the wood of the hull causing delamination of ply or simply rotting πŸ€”
    Sealing the inside is intended to prevent any water entering through shaft tubes, rudder stocks or deck hatches etc from soaking into the wood.

Re your liquid hardener-
    Instructions on my can of polyester resin state-
    2 to 4% by volume hardener -> 10 minutes working time, 40 minutes to harden @ 15 to 20Β°C. I.e. for 100ml resin 2 to 4ml hardener.
    Overdo it and it'll set in a few minutes and get damned hot in the process!😲 Has been know to cause fires or finger burns 😑
    Cheers, Doug 😎
    Young at heart - slightly older in other places πŸ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    NPJ
    Warrant Officer
    πŸ“ Leaking Boat!
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Well just in case anyone was wondering.............After the visitors left I was being taken away for a few days R&R so I had a morning to 'mess about' as it is referred to here.

A quick cheap and cheerful job was the one for me so ignoring all advice so kindly given I took up on G. K. Chesterton's advice "If a job is worth doing it is worth doing badly".......or did I get that wrong?

First thing to do with a leaking boat was to drill some holes in it...........! You see, I was careful and had a piece of wood underneath.

After vacuuming out I then poured Eze-Kote through the holes and persuaded an assistant to use the boat as one would a cocktail shaker.

Then, pleased I had done something,I went away for a few days and it would have time to dry.

Well back now and placed boat into bath a few hours ago. Result was..........water in the bilges in the same quantity as previously!

Lesson......Always listen to Doug!

Now, rather than sailing, I have both the issue of this leak looking like 'amidships' and the business of that bow to deal with.

So will move back to the main thread.

What is the best proportion of liquid hardener to resin? I bought some whilst away. Came without instructions. They must have thought someone who knew what they were doing would be using it..................

TTFN.
    NPJ
    NPJ
    NPJ
    Warrant Officer
    πŸ“ Leaking Boat!
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thank you Colin.

That commits me to re working the whole of the paint job on the Hull!

Now if it were in camouflage /dazzle colours I could hide the join...............

Cheers.

NPJ
    NPJ
    Colin H
    Lieutenant Commander
    πŸ“ Leaking Boat!
    Flag
    Online: 2 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Looks like delamination, if water is getting in between the ply layers it will follow any gaps and porosity and could come out anywhere. I've had similar problems on my vintage restorations. The only thing to do is clean and repair any external damage then I would cover ultra fine glass cloth and Eze-Kote with at least 3 coats and rubbed down between coats. This should cure your problem and also strengthen the Hull.
    Fair winds and calm waters, COLIN.
    NPJ
    Warrant Officer
    πŸ“ Leaking Boat!
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Yes quite agree Doug.

Just assumed that as it did not appear in the two forward sections, but in the third and fourth, it would not emanate from the Bow.

I hope images show the 'issues' at the Bow end. Not noticed before the bath trial.

Although water does appear to have the ability to "move in mysterious ways", its dampness to perform.................

Cheers
    NPJ
    NPJ
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ Leaking Boat!
    Flag
    Online: 5 seconds ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Wrong place? How do you know that Neville?
    Once inside the water will run/creep to the lowest position it can reach!
    I don't like the idea of putting water INSIDE any wooden boat, 😲 not where it's supposed to be . Who knows where it creep to and soak in?
    Doug 😎
    PS Get the visitors involved!😁
    Young at heart - slightly older in other places πŸ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    Show 15 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info