• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Save £50 when you join Bulb
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Brass bashin' Chris Craft deck fittings...
    by Westquay πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Commander)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    26 Posts 25 Replies 11 Photos 21 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Westquay
    Commander
    πŸ“ Brass bashin' Chris Craft deck fittings...
    Flag
    Online: 2 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Found this on British Pathe newsreel footage, but what are they? The light coloured one appears to be a Darby but with no back cover and a flat transom. The others are, I think, Whippets.
    https://www.britishpathe.com/video/newnham-on-severn-aka-newnham-on-severn-hydroplane

Also found a Pathe of a Darby I didn't know of called Bacchus, in colour!

Martin
    https://www.britishpathe.com/video/newnham-on-severn-aka-newnham-on-severn-hydroplane
    πŸ”—
    Westquay
    Commander
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Just got white metal castings back of the Chris Craft fittings and very nice they are too. They have started to burnish up a treat and will polish well as Paul uses a good quality metal. Nice and hard. Now I have to make the light lenses.

Also put the blue bottom on her at the weekend using my one and only pot of Plastikote enamel paint, not the acrylic muck they've turned over to and it went on through my spray gun as smooth as could be. Even my masking worked. Just waiting for a gold pin stripe tape for the boot topping now. The final bit will be masking the deck to paint the covering boards and king plank with the same blue.
    For those not lucky enough to have a wee pot of proper Plastikote in the paint cupboard, I also got a couple of tins of Rustoleum spray, only 5-25 a pot, enamel (of course) in a nice French blue and a rich cream. These colours will look good on my Darby One Design single stepper "WHO'S DARBY?". Very post War. I think the Oulton Broad One Design single stepper will be Burgundy and the Whippet One Design will be varnished mahogany. I know of no other classes of British stepped hydroplanes. These will all be 1/6th scale as they're all around 12-13 ft. long. I'll probably put the same motors in them eventually. The Darby is well advanced and has a Speed 400, but I may go brushless. Any suggestions for a cheap Brushless/ESC combo will be welcome for, say, 3S Li-Pos. it would be good to see these period boats all racing together. I also plan to make reverse clinker Singer cadet and a Percy See Bugatti engined boat for which I have plans. I'm hoping to get a response from the current keepers of Berylla II about measuring that, too, since it also uses a Lea Francis engine, like the Whippet.
    Westquay
    Commander
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I was just searching for a model car pattern I made months ago for some mods and I found all the lovely etchings I'd done years ago, pre computer, for Riva and Chris-Craft models.
    These two pics show two brass patterns for the Riva vents and two of the white metal cast vents, one polished about 20 years ago, one done just now, to show that a well burnished casting will stay looking chrome even without lacquer.

Then the two Chris Craft tread plates I had the great, good forethought to draw when I found I had a bit of space on the Riva fret. They are perfect, as are the Chris-Craft side flashes and all the Riva badges, even though they were done from hand drawn artwork, proving that Vector images are NOT essential as the pootah people will tell you. I shall mount these two on the typically wedge shaped base and have them cast. I also found a FUEL engraved cap cover which will go on my Chris-Craft filler. it happens to be bang on size wise! I'm cock ahoop! I knew I had these, but had no idea where to start looking.
    Thanks Mel for getting me started on the search for your Tecno F2 car, but sorry, couldn't find that devil.
    I have made some more Vincent bits, been to son's to play on his new steering wheel and pedals racing game ( I managed a whole lap of the proper Silverstone in a Lotus 25!) and dined out with the lady wife. What a great day.

Martin
    Westquay
    Commander
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I also enjoy restorations, Colin...just as much. Every challenge is different. This Chris Craft is a restoration of an Aerokits Sea Urchin that cost me all of 99p. on ebay! But then i thought it would be better made up as a single cockpit smaller runabout, hence the Chris Craft with the steeply tumblehomed stern.
    My son has an Aerokits PTB and my other son has a Sea Rover. I also have a Sea Urchin and a Veron Veronica yacht, so yes, I do like the restoration of old items. I have a pre War Marblehead in the loft too!
    I've never been interested in the big ships and service vessels. Only inshore sailing fishing boats and classic speedboats.

If I can help you out with any info or techniques, let me know. I have a lot of books on woodies and years as a professional modelmaker to call upon.

Cheers,
    Martin
    Colin H
    Lieutenant Commander
    Flag
    Online: 49 minutes ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Simply superb, you're right about the bits and classic speed boats, but in the model world I think there the best, our best seems likely to be the Fairey range of boats but although quite quick still rather blockish. I have deep respect for modellers who are able to produce such exquisite examples. My humble efforts give me great enjoyment as most of my work involves renovation of old forgotten models when my arthritis let's me.
    Cheers Colin.
    Fair winds and calm waters, COLIN.
    Westquay
    Commander
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Colin, these are to fit in with my Chris Craft, which is roughly 1/8th scale, so they just look right. I don't have any dimensions as there are no Chris Craft Special Race Boats in Britain. Not that anyone would dare to question you anyway as nobody gives a toss about classic speedboats over here. We never had those types of boats. The Thames had one or two nice Brookes and slipper launches, but our attempts at speed were never as elegant as the Yanks and were all a bit boxy and unembelished and generally sat upon by authorities who didn't like speed, except at Windermere and Oulton Broad and they were mainly outboard powered with one or two exceptions in aluminium, and paint. Mahogany was strictly for furniture for the English.

I will get all these bits cast and will have spares, so if you need any that are among my bits, just holler and I'll see what I can do. May have to charge for metal weight, but that's about it, as I will have to pay for that, even if I can get the bits squeezed in other peoples' moulds.
    I reckon you could use these on a 1/12th scale model without any doubt being caused.
    Most boats used two of those vents. A couple of cleats, a light/cum staff holder and screen supports, which I'm also doing but haven't got a picture of. That will comprise left and right, short and central, longer. The glass will slide in cast in grooves.
    A filler and steering wheel and instruments finish it off. Can't do a bow piece as they are all different and must fit the boat exactly. That's down to you and you can only foil that for the chrome look.

Just wait till I have to do some of these! Ain't they gorgeous?

Cheers,
    Martin
    Colin H
    Lieutenant Commander
    Flag
    Online: 49 minutes ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Super job, I could do with a dozen in 1/12th scale what size would I need to make them, please can you post a sketch with sizes and your scale, I can rescale them.
    Cheers Colin.
    Fair winds and calm waters, COLIN.
    Westquay
    Commander
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Here's the bear's claw vent. I got a piece of 1/8th" brass this morning and between chores managed to knock this up. The flange around the edge has to be removed. it only appears under the webs at the front. They are merely sawn and filed into the 1/8th", which is then soldered to a piece of the 0.8mm sheet and then filed up. Greatest care required to get the slight spine down the centre, which is hardly there on the real one, never mind the model.

Martin
    Westquay
    Commander
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Nah, I was being facetious, Doug. But thanks for the nice words.

No heavier than brass and not a problem. Resin would be slightly lighter, but wouldn't be the right colour and would be very weak, especially the screen supports and cleats.
    As it happens, I do know someone who casts resin. He's doing the crew for the Crash Tender.

I'm waiting for my son-in-law to come over and get up in the loft and sort through my boxes of stuff to see if the Supermarine is up there. My knees are not really up to climbing ladders and kneeling once up there, whereas he'd do it even if it hurt!

Cheers,
    Martin
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 15 seconds ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Full size!? 😁 Respect!πŸ‘
    From the look of your models I must agree thoughπŸ‘
    Photographed out of any scale context who'd know they weren't the real McCoy? Cheers Doug 😎
    BTW: Found that Supermarine yet?
    BTW2: Won't white metal be a bit on the heavy side? Can your chum do resin casting as well?
    Young at heart - slightly older in other places πŸ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    Show 16 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info