• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    All hooked up, nowt happens...
    by Westquay ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ( Lieutenant Commander)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    57 Posts 56 Replies 9 Photos 21 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    onetenor
    Sub-Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ“ All hooked up, nowt happens...
    Flag
    Online: 24 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    As dodgy said. The other thing is a lot of them don't even carry an I.D.no, just the amp rating. Result? a load of guesswork/trial and error. No magic smoke if you're lucky. I've been lucky so far and my 30 amp ones have been fine Good luck/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘
    DodgyGeezer
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    Online: 8 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Welcome to the magic world of cheap Chinese clone R/C equipment!
    steve-d
    Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Flag
    Online: 2 months ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Bit more info.
    The donor has come back with some basic instructions for the ESC but I already have more than that from my searches.
    He also lent me a program 'Card' which is very easy to use and seems to confirm that I have a very basic ESC. The card has 12 levels of settings on the instructions but the ESC only recognises 4 items and then within each item does not have all the setting levels.
    Have set it best I can for now but will go find me a better ESC later.
    Steve
    DodgyGeezer
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    Online: 8 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    This 'Cheap Chinese' design, according to the documentation, seems to come in several different (nominal) amp ratings, and, interestingly, in a 'standard car' or in a 'crawler' version.

The one for crawlers - slow rock-climbing cars - is also recommended for tanks, and has a jumper giving the sort of instant reverse we would use for boats. This looks like an example... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-Brushed-1060-60A-ESC-F...

Which might help if anyone's browsing cheap brandless ESCs...
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-Brushed-1060-60A-ESC-For-RC-1-10-Crawler-Car-Tank-Model-Accessory/362488539332?epid=13025976857&hash=item54660028c4:g:ybcAAOSwwdNb7rDO:rk:127:pf:0
    ๐Ÿ”—
    canabus
    Midshipman
    Flag
    Online: 7 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi All
    If you require a brush ESC.
    The Hobbyking one is the only one I have found with straight forward/ reverse with NO BRAKE.
    Set is with links, but the they only work on Nicads and Lipo batteries.
    They will run on 12 volt SLA, but no less!!!!
    I am using them in my two Hellen fishing boats with 55 turn rock crawler motors on 2S Lipo on 60% throttle.
    https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbywing-quicrun-60a-2s-3s-waterproof-brushed-esc-for-1-10.html

Canabus
    https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbywing-quicrun-60a-2s-3s-waterproof-brushed-esc-for-1-10.html
    ๐Ÿ”—
    canabus
    Midshipman
    Flag
    Online: 7 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi All
    I use the Hobbyking car ESC's HK-45A, HK-60A SL and HK-100A
    which all use the same program card(HK PROG-CARD).
    I use the same setup for all my boat, only changing the battery setting for the 2s, 3S and 4S Lipo.
    1 Cutoff Voltage for 3S=10.2 and 4S=13.6
    2 Start Power Percent=5%
    3 Advance Timing=4
    4 Run Mode=2
    5 Brake Force=1
    6 Drag Brake Force=1
    7 Neutral Range=1
    8 initial Brake Force=1
    9 Reverse Force=1
    It works for me.
    Canabus
    jbkiwi
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    Online: 4 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Steve, I have the same problem with the ESCs in my HSL. They are cheap Chinese car models and can be a bit tricky to get into reverse quickly. I have found that either waiting a few seconds in neutral before trying reverse, or going to neutral and flicking the throttle forward a few clicks and back to neutral quickly (in .5 sec) usually sorts it. I think it may be that the motor stops somewhere that the cheaper ESCs can't detect (bit like an old car starter that hits the bald spot on the ring gear and you have to jog it a bit) so you have to move it slightly for it to 'see' it (maybe the capacitors also). Brushed ESCs don't have that problem as the brushes are in constant contact, rather than relying on correct positioning in Brushless motors. You will also find that some Chinese motors are not timed/wound correctly, and you can feel weak or 'floaty' spots between certain magnets which may also cause a problem. Perhaps trying a higher or lower ESC timing by 1 step either way might help if you have that capability.
    if it works by just flicking the throttle method, you can just slow down as you come in and take you time finding reverse in a scale like manner (remember the PT109 movie where they went through the shed on the wharf) You can also try swapping the other pairs of wires on the motor (same direction but different pairs). if you are still not happy then it might be time as Doug said, for a better ESC with instructions. Get one which has all the programing features, (fwd, rev , timing, auto batt detection (lipos or NmH etc) starting mode- ie soft,hard, brake etc) this will give you plenty of options for adjustment. Doesn't have to be a marine one, a good known brand car/buggy one will do and if you have any heat problems you can always put a mini fan on it. Water cooled marine ESCs are really only for high amp high speed setups. My 36"HSL has 2x 30A car ESCs running 2x 28/45 2000kv water cooled motors and ESCs never get even warm. Pictured are the ESCs I am using from HK which have an output plug for a fan if needs be. The 3rd pic is the brushless ESC types (EBay, AliExpress) I am using, which have no problems with reverse transition (see vid section re Thornycroft MTB maneuvering) also the HSL vids to give you an idea of how these brushless ESCs perform even with the minor reversing problem. Hope you get it sorted.
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 8 seconds ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Steve,
    I don't think I misunderstood at all -
    Quote: "If you still have to command reverse twice then the ESC may simply not be capable of normal For/Rev. Although the table indicates that it is."
    Sadly this seems to be the case with your curious ESC.
    I would dump it and use a reliable unit from a supplier where you can first read all about it's capabilities AND download the specs and operating instructions before ordering.
    Worthwhile suppliers do provide this service.
    I do my best not to waste my shekels on a pig in a poke.
    The Germans have an expression for this sort of experience; "Lerngeld" = Learning money!
    Click simply means actuate or 'do it'; i.e. moving control stick or trigger.
    A stupid way of expressing it I agree.
    Bon chance mon ami. Cheers, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Just saw your edit! Maybe now you realise why he gave it away! ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Young at heart - slightly older in other places ๐Ÿ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    steve-d
    Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Flag
    Online: 2 months ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    You misunderstood me Doug.
    Yes, it is in forward and reverse but will not go from forward straight into reverse. you have to come back to centre, go into reverse (nothing happens), back to centre then into reverse.

I found another set of instructions that described this...see pic.
    Not sure I understand what they mean by 'click'.

Steve

Edit to add...I was given the motor and ESC just before christmas and did not know then that I would need to program it. Since knowing the guy has been on leave so I can't ask him.
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 8 seconds ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Steve,
    Sorry to have to correct you BUT changing the Running & reverse Mode IS described in the instructions posted, see Step 3 , as shown in attached Snipping Tool clip.
    After selecting 'Running Mode' as the parameter to change (Step 2) wait for the two beeps close together. Then immediately shove the throttle stick forward.
    You should then hear the 'special tone' which tells you that you selection has been saved. Move the stick full back within 2 secs of this tone and you exit the programming mode and all should be stored.
    If you still have to command reverse twice then the ESC may simply not be capable of normal For/Rev. Although the table indicates that it is.
    I often wonder why folk buy this stuff without instructions!
    Just to save a few shekels? Or was it found in a flea market or donated?
    Cheers, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Young at heart - slightly older in other places ๐Ÿ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    Show 47 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info