• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Save £50 when you join Bulb
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Admiral's
    by Martin555 ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ( Rear Admiral)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    66 Posts 65 Replies 5 Photos 81 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Nerys
    Commander
    ๐Ÿ“ Admiral's
    Flag
    Online: 7 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I agree with you about the seaworthiness of the junk. Such a manageable rig. Number of yachts have used the junk rig for ocean passages. Col.Hasler's 'Jester' comes to mind. What a contrast to his ocean racing exploits in the 30sq metre 'Tre Sang' in the early post war years.

Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    jbkiwi
    Captain
    ๐Ÿ“ Admiral's
    Flag
    Online: 9 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Junks are supposed to be excellent sea boats Nerys so I'm not surprised. These Kiwi Guys went through storms and all sorts to get here, including one with winds over 50 Knots in the Tasman sea. They did a few mods to the rudder and a few other bits and pieces on the way, to get her to sail better. They went through some pretty dangerous territory in the south china Sea as well. They were also given a Chinese Chow puppy by the builder in Hong Kong, but after the months of sailing, they had it taken off them by the Australian quarantine officers and destroyed.
    JB
    Nerys
    Commander
    ๐Ÿ“ Admiral's
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Can't remember which Thames Barge it was, that an army officer and a few men found abandoned at Dunkirk and sailed her back to UK with no sailing experience.

Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    Nerys
    Commander
    ๐Ÿ“ Admiral's
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    If my memory serves me correctly, and it usually does, a smallish Chinese Junk was sailed to the UK (from China) to take part in the 1951 Festival of Britain.

Nerys
    redpmg
    Sub-Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ“ Admiral's
    Flag
    Online: 14 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    That's a good one JB - must have been a very interesting trip - only similar one I can recall was the US sailors who bought a Landing Craft - not sure which version maybe a LCT - and sailed it all the way back to the USA from the Med somewhere shortly after WW2. Not one of them was a deck officer.......
    All I know is the modern sailors could not cope without their gadgets - forgetting that in the vastness of the sea things can break and electronics stop working - and they would not even carry a sextant or know how to use it
    Slocum used an old alarm clock and the stars to navigate by, my Dads pal Harry Pidgeon used a sextant but still managed to run aground about 120 miles up the west coast from Capetown while asleep - had to be towed +-300yards back to the sea by a team of oxen - no leaks so Islander must have had a tough hull.........
    jbkiwi
    Captain
    ๐Ÿ“ Admiral's
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Re - JB - how very unkind of you
    Just Had to Peter,๐Ÿ˜Š (mind you we had a few HDMLs put on uncharted rocks here while surveying the coast back in the 70s) Have you ever heard of the 'Golden Lotus' , a 35ft Chinese junk which a Kiwi Northland farmer had built in Hong Kong in the early 60s. He and 3 mates ( one an ex deck officer on cargo ships, the other 2 farmers - the oldest was 25) sailed it all the way back to NZ ( 8500 miles) using a few charts, a second hand sextant and a wrist watch. Came down through Indonesia down inside the Great Barrier Reef and across to NZ. Amazing feat of seamanship especially in a Junk.

People think they are pretty good these days if they sail to Aust using Sat Nav in 50ft boats!
    JB
    redpmg
    Sub-Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ“ Admiral's
    Flag
    Online: 14 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    JB - how very unkind of you - seems the modern Navy is not really up to scratch - wonder if any of them would be able to do what Bligh did - sail his crew 1600 odd miles to safety in an open boat...........
    jbkiwi
    Captain
    ๐Ÿ“ Admiral's
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Re - -"Not that one Martin - this one hit a reef I think
    Remember that, had a bit of a laugh about it down here, not to mention The sub Anchorite hitting one of our secret rocks in the Hauraki Gulf in 1960 (we even just HAD to name the rock after it! -sorry๐Ÿ˜‚) see chart pos 36 26'S 175 8'E good fishing spot! you can sometimes catch a 'sub' species of Trevally๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜‚
    JB
    Martin555
    Rear Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ Admiral's
    Flag
    Online: 4 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Damn!! All that hard hard work !

Martin555.
    If it looks right it probably is.
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ Admiral's
    Flag
    Online: 1 day ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    "I spent a few years on her,"
    Aha! So it was YOU!!! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
    Consider yourself reduced to the ranks ๐Ÿ˜
    ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    PS No wonder you're broke ... still paying off the 39 million quid eh๐Ÿค”
    Young at heart - slightly older in other places ๐Ÿ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    Show 56 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info