• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Save £50 when you join Bulb
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Not so cheap glue!
    by Nerys πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Lieutenant Commander)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    17 Posts 16 Replies 5 Photos 21 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Nerys
    Lieutenant Commander
    πŸ“ Not so cheap glue!
    Flag
    Online: 28 seconds ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    There have been a number of trainer dinghies for the Finn, the two I have seen the most of were the Solo and the OK. Both were originally nice marine ply boats built with, probably, cascamite. I liked the Solo best, having owned two at various times.

Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    jbkiwi
    Captain
    πŸ“ Not so cheap glue!
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Re- Don't know the Aerodux glue, but it sounds good.
    Hi Nerys, I used Aerolite in the 60s on some of my first sailing dinghy mods, and an 8ft 10hp powered skimmer. From memory it was the clear one. My 12 ft 'Cherokee' racing dinghy was built in the 70s (designed by john Chapple - NZ-in 1959) and appears to have been glued with Aerolite (clear,- you could also buy Aerodux back then ) Just did a rebuild and complete f/glass and found the boat was holding together very well, despite being made of 1/8 ply with very light construction, (I could lift the boat by myself).
    I have recently been sent the original plans in PDF form, and If you are interested for another project I would be happy to send them through. These were designed as a trainer for the OK and Finn Olympic class dinghys.
    JB
    Ianh
    Petty Officer 2nd Class
    πŸ“ Not so cheap glue!
    Flag
    Online: 3 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    What I do is epoxy resin the interior and exterior using an EPOXY resin mix by weight as it is quantity sensitive. When doing the outside I epoxy with fiberglass mat that gives big Hulls πŸ’ͺ Remember Cyano can also go brittle. Sika have some very good glues but you to find a glue that is not only waterproof but 'can be immersed' in water! Can't get Titebond in South Africa
    Only old in years not mind or soul.
    redpmg
    Sub-Lieutenant
    πŸ“ Not so cheap glue!
    Flag
    Online: 10 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    If I remember correctly Nerys - Aerolite was actually developed for aircraft use - specifically the Mosquito - a friends father as a youngster was working for DH laminating mossy body panels etc - using Aerolite. Said it was hard work.
    Strange to think that the DH Vampires were also made of moulded plywood.......... Does not seem to fit with Jet engines somehow.
    redpmg
    Sub-Lieutenant
    πŸ“ Not so cheap glue!
    Flag
    Online: 10 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Dad and I used both Aerolite and Cascamite on our dinghys (not both at the same time) - years later thought to give Cascamite a bash on an enlarged version of the Grey Goose SGB hull (6')- turned out to be big mistake - old Stuart Sun type steam engine with large original boiler not very responsive so rammed into the bank going fairly fast - joints in the stem shattered on impact - glue had turned brittle. Had to re glue and use fibreglass & poly resin covering as a lot of planking sprung too. Shame as it looked great in its varnished state.
    Locally Balcotan (polyurethane?) is used for boat building - but a friend advised it has the same problem as Cascamite as it also shatters on impact . Not tried it myself as its smelly and messy and difficult to clean up.
    Nerys
    Lieutenant Commander
    πŸ“ Not so cheap glue!
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Don't know the Aerodux glue, but it sounds good. Wonder if it is something like the Aerolite that was popular in the great days of building plywood dinghies in the fifties and sixties. There was genuine development of boats in those days, it wasn't difficult to build one offs and I think the gluing of ply led to a myriad of new racing dinghies, some of which are still around in plastic form today. A simple idea, sketched on a beer mat could be a fully fledged racing dinghy within a couple of weeks. We had a lot of fun!

Cheers, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    Ianh
    Petty Officer 2nd Class
    πŸ“ Not so cheap glue!
    Flag
    Online: 3 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Cascamite still as good !! Doesn't go off so quickly mix what you want. OLD FASHIONED STUFF STILL WORKSπŸ˜€πŸ˜€
    Only old in years not mind or soul.
    jbkiwi
    Captain
    πŸ“ Not so cheap glue!
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Re. I think it must be. In any case, it's good
    Sounds like Aerodux 185 a Resorcinol (Pheno Formaldehyde) resin It's a redish brown resin and white powder which is mixed together. Best wood glue out and smells nice as well. There was a clear one as well but can't remember the name, might have been Aerolite 306. Built my 15ft delta with 185 and it never let go. 185 and 306 are used for aircraft as well.
    In the UK there is a supplier -Swindon aircraft plywood and timber co. probably others as well. It's a lot more expensive than epoxies. Was the other way round when I built my boat in the 70s!
    JB
    Nerys
    Lieutenant Commander
    πŸ“ Not so cheap glue!
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I think it must be. In any case, it's good. I used to use cascamite years ago in building real boats. It was a powder mixed in water, but it stuck like the proverbial to a blanket. Some boat builders used to paint the inside of a boat with cascamite. I've seen cascamite in bulk in Axminster and imagine it's as it used to be.

Nerys
    KenThompson
    Midshipman
    πŸ“ Not so cheap glue!
    Flag
    Online: 5 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Is that a form or later on cascamite? Which is said to be brilliant.?
    May the wind always be always where you want it .
    Show 7 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info