• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Dutchmen
    by Nerys πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Rear Admiral)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    9 Posts 8 Replies 11 Photos 22 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Nerys
    Rear Admiral
    πŸ“ Dutchmen
    Flag
    Online: 1 hour ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Yes Red, It was great to have the opportunity to spend two years like that and the beauty of it was that I was being paid.
    Although I built models as a kid, I did not build any more until a little over two years ago. If you look at my profile you will see I joined this forum in April 18 and that was just after I finished my first model. see my harbour, 'Gwylan' an aeronaut small fishing boat kit. But bear in mind it comes after a lifetimes experience in building and sailing real boats. The biggest I built was a 43ft Sharpie and the smallest, eight foot dinghies. The dinghies are worthy of their own yarn, I designed them to come out of two sheets of ply plus a bit of lumber and be built in the lounge of a first floor flat. My first boat was a 12ft flattie that I bought for 15 shillings in old money when I was 13. It was reputed to have been built by a ship's carpenter for duck shooting on the Cardiff flats. I plus my father (mainly) spent several months making her seaworthy and fitting her with a centreboard etc. and the following year, in the school holidays, I spent cruising the Bristol Channel. My mother must have been frantic at times!

All the best, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    Nerys
    Rear Admiral
    πŸ“ Dutchmen
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Of course, I haven't been in the modelling world all that long, so I'm not surprised to hear that there are, or have been kits of Dutch sailing craft around.. I spent two summers cruising in Dutch waters on a Thames Barge yacht some years ago and was always attracted to the traditional craft and have intended building a model for a while now. If this one turns out alright, I may build a couple of others, a Hoogars for example.

Cheers, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    redpmg
    Captain
    πŸ“ Dutchmen
    Flag
    Online: 4 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Must have been great cruises Nerys - not something that many people have done - was amazed to hear you had not been in the modelling world long . Its great to see something different on the water.
    Have a penchant for US type boats - Two Tugs and a USCG Cutter - a plan for a "Gasoline" tug from the twenties (drawn up all the parts) plus a kit of the Monterey fishing boat - which was based on the Mediterranean boats by the immigrants of course.......Ironic that shortly after buying the kit was able to obtain the plans of the Monterey (3 versions) which had been searched for over 30years on & off.
    bruce1946
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    πŸ“ Dutchmen
    Flag
    Online: 21 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    thats the one I built also
    Nerys
    Rear Admiral
    πŸ“ Dutchmen
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Of course, I haven't been in the modelling world all that long, so I'm not surprised to hear that there are, or have been kits of Dutch sailing craft around.. I spent two summers cruising in Dutch waters on a Thames Barge yacht some years ago and was always attracted to the traditional craft and have intended building a model for a while now. If this one turns out alright, I may build a couple of others, a Hoogars for example.

Cheers, Nerys
    redpmg
    Captain
    πŸ“ Dutchmen
    Flag
    Online: 4 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    There are a couple of kits floating around Nerys - one by Artesania and the other by Constructo - had a unbuilt Constructo Schouw ? - sold it on Ebay in UK so their must be some around - to my mind they look a bit "clumsy" for want of a better word compared to say the sailing barge you have as an avatar
    Picture is a Dutch Zuiderzee Botter from Artesania - cant find the Constructo one
    Excuse the inadvertent pun
    bruce1946
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    πŸ“ Dutchmen
    Flag
    Online: 21 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    my dutch tug I build while stationed in Netherlands I also build a model of one of their fishing boats
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ Dutchmen
    Flag
    Online: 10 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Of course!
    Doesn't everyone go to Barcelona to buy their Dutch books?πŸ˜‰πŸ˜
    Cos they only have Spanish books in AmsterdamπŸ˜‚πŸ€£

Pics pics in a Blog please Nerys.πŸ‘
    Cheers, Doug 😎
    Young at heart πŸ˜‰ Slightly older in other places.;-/ Cheers Doug
    Nerys
    Rear Admiral
    πŸ“ Dutchmen
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Just across the North Sea lies the Netherlands and on its waters. both natural and manmade floats a myriad of different traditional craft, sailing fishing boats and barges of all sizes. Yet with this diversity of boats, most of them very attractive, I cannot ever remember seeing a model, either kit or scratchbuilt of a Dutchman. My present project is a kajuitschouw, a fairly typical small boat, simple hull form, but I find it attractive. At 27" She is approximately 1" to the foot, she has a fairly high aspect ratio gaff mainsail with the typical short curved gaff. Leeboards of course. I have taken the lines from a Dutch book I bought in Barcelona about forty years ago. Be interesting to see how she compares for sailing qualities with model Thames Barges but one day I will find out.

Cheers, Nerys

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info