• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Blackpool Model Boat Show.
    by Nerys πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Rear Admiral)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    18 Posts 17 Replies 3 Photos 15 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Nerys
    Rear Admiral
    πŸ“ Blackpool Model Boat Show.
    Flag
    Online: 6 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    That's very interesting about the children's holidays in Rhodesia, that was certainly some organisation to do all that.
    My sister's place in France was at one time a holiday retreat for children of poor city bound parents. It must have been in the 1950's I think they had a couple of a hundred children there at a time. The derelict dormitories are still standing and the top floor of the chateau still has the cubicles and shower rooms allotted to some children. The goal posts still stand on the football field. She often has elderly men and women come knocking on the door and asking if they may have a look around to rekindle memories of the wonderful holidays they had there.

Cheers, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    redpmg
    Commander
    Flag
    Online: 21 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    They had something called the Childrens Holiday Association long ago in Rhodesia - it allowed children whose parents could not afford a holiday to get to the sea. They had two venues - one in Port Elizabeth and the other in Simonstown . As I had been ill a lot aged about 8 was packed off to the site at Port Elizabeth to help recuperate. Enjoyed the train ride and the holiday tremendously - even won the sandcastle competition! Years later as an adult on holiday in the Cape found the youngest son of family friends at the Simonstown venue - also having a great time. Sadly it closed shortly thereafter.
    The Rhodesian Holiday Association also built a hotel in Simonstown - Rhodesia by the Sea - with subsidised rates for Rhodesian's - and you were also entitled to a concessionary train ticket for a entire family once a year . Stayed there once for a month - but had traveled by car (Ford Zephyr Mk II) . Was lucky enough to have Grandfathers house some 50yards from Boulders Beach in Simonstown so most holidays were spent there or the boarding house opposite if other relations arranged with Grandpa first..........Three times we were lucky enough to travel in Union Castle Liners from Beira to Cape Town. Can vividly remember traveling out to the Liners by lighter at Beira (shallow port)- but cant remember what I had for dinner last night...........
    Rhodesia by the Sea was sold to the Navy when Rhodesia became more prosperous - and became a SAN Hostel. The Holiday Association built a few places in Rhodesia with the funds as it was no longer thought it was necessary to be by the sea and the climate was in fact quite healthy............
    Nerys
    Rear Admiral
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    They called it 'Holidays at Home' during WW2.

Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    Newby7
    Lieutenant Commander
    Flag
    Online: 10 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Camping out in our back yards may be what most of us will have to do for a time.
    Rick
    KenThompson
    Sub-Lieutenant
    Flag
    Online: 13 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    You could camp out in your back garden Nerys.?? Ha ha
    Fish and chips on the patio, ice cream under your parasol
    May the wind always be always where you want it .
    Nerys
    Rear Admiral
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    That, Ken is wishful thinking of the highest degree. I'd love to have a few days holiday in Blackpool, or anywhere else for that matter. But, what do I do Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday when my presence is required at Ysbyty Treforys in order to moor me for four hours to the machine that keeps me alive.? 'Tis a long way to go back and fore!

Under non Covid conditions I could arrange for a holiday transfer to a different hospital, but that's all stopped at the moment.

Cheers, Nerys
    KenThompson
    Sub-Lieutenant
    Flag
    Online: 13 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    You and Alice can still go to Blackpool for the week end and have a relaxing time, sand,sea, fish and chips and ice cream, what more do you want? Lovely jubilee.Ken
    May the wind always be always where you want it .
    Nerys
    Rear Admiral
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thanks everyone for looking into the Blackpool show situation. I emailed Component Shop to ask if it was on , but have not received a reply. I think we can take it that it is a no go this year. With recent new restrictions and what appears to be a bit of a panic from the government because more people are showing symptoms. Not many tests so not many positive tests. Lots of tests, so lots of positive tests. Anyway, it's something to look forward to next year.

Cheers, Nerys
    Rookysailor
    Captain
    Flag
    Online: 12 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Spoke with Iain (the guy who runs it from Component Shop) last week, and he says he is still in conversation with the hotel to see if they can put traders into smaller rooms instead of the large ballroom, but he didn't sound hopeful, the AD looks like it's 396 days till the next show, which would be 2021, of course he will still take money for tickets,
    I suggest we all wait...😞

Cheers, Pete
    Colin H
    Commodore
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I just checked your link, no tickets available.
    Cheers Colin.
    Fair winds and calm waters, COLIN.
    Show 8 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info