• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Jolie Brise
    by Martin555 πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Fleet Admiral)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    26 Posts 25 Replies 1 Photo 61 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Nerys
    Vice Admiral
    πŸ“ Jolie Brise
    Flag
    Online: 32 minutes ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Although this model was inspired by Jolie Brise, I don't think the model is intended to be a model of that vessel. Ever since the plans first appeared and we were told about the adoption of a fin keel and the hard chine hull, it was obvious that this was a model of a formidable looking boat with a traditional powerful gaff cutter rig that would give a good account of herself on the lake

Looking at the photos of the framework, I see very careful and precise handiwork well thought out and well executed. This is a model to look forward to seeing the completion and the sailing.

Cheers, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    Graham93
    Captain
    πŸ“ Jolie Brise
    Flag
    Online: 34 minutes ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Red,

There seems to be quite a bit of variation in the full sized Cutter designs I have found on-line, with the modern 'copies' being more like yachts, but none of the ones I've found have a hard chine hull like my model has. I'm hoping on the water, it won't be too obvious, and the fin, keel and rudder won't be visible. The rudder on the model is quite different to typical Cutter rudder.

Graham93
    Nerys
    Vice Admiral
    πŸ“ Jolie Brise
    Flag
    Online: 32 minutes ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Jolie Brise, was built in Le Havre in 1912 and never actually worked as a pilot cutter. I believe she was used for tunny fishing for a few years and eventually passed into English hands when bought by E.G.Martin who made her into a yacht. In the early days of ocean racing, she won the Fastnet race three times , competed successfully in Transatlantic races. She has been owned by the Dauntsey schoool in Witshire for over forty years and has crossed the Atlantic at least six times. Not a bad record.

Cheers, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    redpmg
    Captain
    πŸ“ Jolie Brise
    Flag
    Online: 5 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    You have to remember she is a French Pilot Cutter Graham - very different to the English ones like the modern versions being built in UK. The book on her is somewhere in this jam packed house. Believe she is still owned by a school in UK .
    Artesania Latina make a kit of her - be bit small for RC though
    Graham93
    Captain
    πŸ“ Jolie Brise
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Clive,

That’s a really nice looking hull. Puts my plywood skinned version to shame. The stern looks very realistic.

Without the plans I bought I wouldn’t know where to start building a model like this. With the plans, someone else has worked out all the difficult bits like sheet controls. The downside is that the hull is not an accurate representation of the full sized Cutters. Hopefully I can make up for that with additional scale details above the waterline.

Looking forward to seeing more of your progress.

Graham93
    CliveB
    Recruit
    πŸ“ Jolie Brise
    Flag
    Online: 24 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    .Hello Graham,
    I'm interested that you are building a Jolie Brise model. I've got a model (very) slowly taking shape - a winter project that I started many years ago. One objective was to learn how to build a planked hull. I found the counter stern the most difficult to build. She is to be an RC working model; like you under water won't stick to original - there will be a deep ballasted lift-able fin keel to improve stability.
    Currently I'm working on steering - taking ages to get rudder moving easily. Then intend to start on RC which I've never done before.
    The pictures you posted of Tallulah will be a big help to me for deck layout.
    I plan initially have just main & a self-tacking foresail sharing one winch. Will be nice to add bowsprit & jib but can't envisage sheet control!
    I got the plans from the Jolie Brise book which I photo copied for 1/20 scale.

Rgds.....Clive
    Graham93
    Captain
    πŸ“ Jolie Brise
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    JB,

Hadn’t thought about sea shanties, I’m too focussed on the details of the hull constructing and rigging at the moment. But you never know....πŸ˜‰

There is an interesting opportunity for some servo winch mixing to control all the sails which I’m trying to figure out.πŸ€”

Graham93
    jbkiwi
    Admiral
    πŸ“ Jolie Brise
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Will it have sailors singing sea shanties as well Graham?😁 That'll keep you busy for a while! You'll be struggling to hold yourself back on the electrical side, only being allowed servosπŸ˜‚, ( unless of course you pretend it's just been rebuilt and has had modern gear installed, - for safety reasons only- of course😁)

JB
    Graham93
    Captain
    πŸ“ Jolie Brise
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Michael,

Ha, ha, or should it be Ho, Ho, Ho.πŸ˜† Nice try but it is going to be mostly ply construction.

I’m looking forward to building lots of external detail but I won’t be doing any scale internals as the hull will be filled with sail servos and rigging sheets.

Graham93
    mturpin013
    Commodore
    πŸ“ Jolie Brise
    Flag
    Online: 22 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Graham Glad to see you are going to go for a wooden hull much more interesting to build than a plastic or GRP and I'm sure you have the skill to carry it off. I look forward to seeing your offering, can we hope for a specification as follows ;-
    CONSTRUCTION
    - European larch (below waterline) and oak (above) carvel planking
    - Opepe keel, stem, sternpost and deadwood
    - Oak frames
    - Opepe deck beams and deck
    πŸ€“
    Finally just look at all that internal detail to get your teeth into😜
    Show 16 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info