• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Vic Smead? Vosper RAF RTTL 2754 Restoration
    by sidestickflyer πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Leading Seaman)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    51 Posts 50 Replies 48 Photos 97 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    scout13
    Master Seaman
    πŸ“ Vic Smead? Vosper RAF RTTL 2754 Restoration
    Flag
    Online: 10 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I refurbished a model from someone who had one as we were asked as a club ( so I got the task ) to build one for a chap who lived local for his retirement as he had done several tours of duty on the RTTL boats We were only given a couple of months notice the chap lent us a book called Sailors of The RAF it had several different types of boats in it
    Boocock
    Recruit
    Flag
    Online: 4 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thanks Doug. Yes that is the account of the demise of 2760 that I remember. I have been unable to find any information regarding her active service however.
    A few years ago I was fortunate enough to be given a conducted tour of 2757 at Hendon and was able to get photographs of the internals of the wheelhouse and engine room. I haven't been down recently but I hope she gets preserved under cover. Work had been going on to replace some deck planking and fill some holes in the hull. With the weight of engines removed hull distortion should have been eased a bit. Regards, John
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 8 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Boocock,
    Have you seen this Page?
    http://www.ournewhaven.org.uk/page_id__1928.aspx?path=0p69p8...
    Some interesting stuff about 2754 and 2760 from 'folks who were there'!
    Cheers, Doug 😎
    http://www.ournewhaven.org.uk/page_id__1928.aspx?path=0p69p87p104p
    πŸ”—
    Young at heart πŸ˜‰ Slightly older in other places.;-/ Cheers Doug
    JOHN
    Chief Petty Officer 1st Class
    Flag
    Online: 11 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    hi ya there Boocock

I have just relocated some of the files I had from when I did my build of the RTTL and I came across these two photographs of the 2760 Launch and I am sure I have some written work somewhere about her. I will have a look - but - some of my 'old' files are on a computer hardrive from the old computer

www.rafboats.co.uk

John
    Boocock
    Recruit
    Flag
    Online: 4 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I too started a model from these plans back in 1958 when I was a member of the Hull branch of the Radio Controlled Model Society. I got as far as skinning the hull and intended to mount a marine glow plug engine as per the design. College, wife, kids came along and the model got put on the shelf. When I retired 10 years ago own it came from the shelf but I found that the original cascamite glue I used had turned to powder. To cut a long story short I carefully dismantled it and rebuilt to the stage where it is almost finished (I never seem to completely finish any project, as my wife will confirm). I have kept the single prop shaft design with two rudders. It performs well driven by a ReMax? electric motor and Sanyo 2400 battery pack. I decided to number it 2760 as I found a photo of this vessel (attached). Only later I discovered that there is very little history available. Apparently she slipped anchor, drifted onto rocks and was scrapped. If anyone has any more interesting information on 2760 I would be pleased to hear from them.
    redpmg
    Captain
    Flag
    Online: 13 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    As an ex Rhodesian I find it strange that John should think the armament on a RTTL involved "troubles in Rhodesia" which is totally landlocked. The Naval activity that occurred was the Beira oil blockade by the RN some eleven miles offshore neighbouring Mozambique - which was unsuccessful except for closing down the Umtali refinery - causing my cousin to lose his job....(Oil then came through SA). No RTTL could have stood those sea conditions for long

The RAF also sent a Javelin squadron to neighbouring Zambia - The RhodAF Hunters & RAF Javelins used to do dawn patrols wingtip to wingtip down Lake Kariba - when asked by a RhodAF pilot as to what the RAF pilot would do if ordered to attack - the response was "have immediate radio failure"...........If A RTTL was set afloat in Kariba from Zambia Whitehall would have been fully aware that it would have been almost instantly blown out of the water by RhodAF or the RR Artillery should it venture out. So not very likely - also the it would have been a nightmare journey as most of Zambias good were delivered through Rhodesia..........The other routes would have been impassable and air delivery does not seem feasible.

The only other Naval activity involving Rhodesia occurred during WW1 when the Launches Mimi & TuTu passed through on their way to Lake Victoria to do battle with the German gunboats. They were guided by a Rhodesian "Big Game" hunter who had proposed the whole thing in the first place but he left after an argument with the eccentric Commander Spicer Spencer the RN had decided to put in charge..........

Thorneycroft built two small gunboats for use on the Pungwe river by Rhodesia - (the river is only navigable some 20 miles inland - well within Mozambique)- but I have never found any record or documentation for them other than a small item in a Thorneycroft history article read somewhere long ago.............
    RHBaker
    Lieutenant Commander
    Flag
    Online: 4 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I have found very few books on the R.A.F. Marine branch. The one you quote is perhaps the best.
    The other one I enjoyed, although it is more of an auto-biography, is "Boat in the Blue" by W.D. Pereira.
    Not very long but I enjoyed it.
    Rowen
    sidestickflyer
    Leading Seaman
    Flag
    Online: 21 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thanks for telling us your wonderful career experiences with these boats at RAF Mountbatten.

As an Air Cadet I visited them at Mountbatten one Saturday in the mid 1970’s and got dragged behind one when doing my parachute/dingy training in the mid 1980’s! up in Holyhead Harbour!

I bought the book on eBay last night so I can’t wait to read more about their exploits with us Aircrew!

Thanks again. Graham 😎
    nasraf
    Chief Petty Officer 1st Class
    Flag
    Online: 18 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thanks Graham

I am sure you will find the book interesting, I learnt a lot particularly about the difficulties in rescue in the war.

I have a vested interest in you liking this message as I am one point away from promotion from 2 nd class to 1 st class, actually looking at the note on the LH side of my screen this message is worth two points, so shall have promoted myself.

Your project has got me into a bit of research into the RTTL's. When I was at Mount Batten there was probably about 5 there then. My billet was on the third floor and we overlooked the Sound, when a RTTL came in it had a very characteristic sound, even with the engine no doubt at a low speed.

We used to do daily radio checks on them, but did not get rides, as they usually, when they went out it was for some time and it was not appreciated if you disappeared for all day. We used to get lots of rides on the Range Safety Launches as these did dingy drill for air crew and you could arrange to be doing a radio check, when they were going out beyond the breakwater to dump the pilot into the sea with his un inflated life dingy.

I did have one day out on a Mk 2 RTTL, but only across the sound and then to anchor there for the day on a nuclear attack exercise. I was glad to get back after rocking back and forward for six hours, it would have given the crew a lot of enjoyment if I had been sick.

I did have another much more enjoyable ride on the one remaining Napier Sea Lion powered Mk 1A RTTL that was still at Mount Batten, I think it had been kept for historical reasons and had not been modified to fit Griffons. As far as I was aware it was never used operationally, although we did daily radio checks. One day I found out that it was to be given a test run so arranged to be on it when it went out on test. It was a lovely sunny day and the sea was calm, we got outside the breakwater and the engines were opened up but the trip at speed did not last very long as one of the engines failed, but we still had two left so could return to the Cattewater safely. It may have been the last day that a RTTL ever ran on Napier power.
    sidestickflyer
    Leading Seaman
    Flag
    Online: 21 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thank you so much for this. I was on the verge of buying the book so I will definitely get it now. Graham πŸ‘
    Show 41 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info