• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    What's your thoughts
    by JOHN πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Chief Petty Officer 1st Class)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    18 Posts 17 Replies 0 Photos 61 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ What's your thoughts
    Flag
    Online: 1 hour ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Colin.
    Sometimes there's a curious glitch and Posts appear twice.
    No one really knows why πŸ€”
    Don't worry about 'em, I'll try to filter them out.
    Cheers, Doug 😎
    Young at heart πŸ˜‰ Slightly older in other places.;-/ Cheers Doug
    Colin H
    Rear Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Sorry Doug, something went wrong and my post went on twice, I tried to edit it to remove 1 copy, but I got it wrong..
    Cheers Colin.
    Fair winds and calm waters, COLIN.
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Delete what Colin?
    Doug
    Colin H
    Rear Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Small world, RAF Hemswell, 1965 and 66, I had a part time job with the agricultural contractor who did the grass cutting on the airfield. So I must have cut there for 2 summers, I also cut Manby.
    Cheers Colin.
    Fair winds and calm waters, COLIN.
    Scratchbuilder
    Lieutenant
    Flag
    Online: 5 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Doug.
    At what time period did you live at RAF Hemswell just out of interest.
    Being a TSR2 fanatic (such an incredible aeroplane that was so tragically scrapped)
    I think I am correct in saying that the project was transferred there near the end of the prototype stage.
    Without looking it up I also remember that the fantastic film/documentary β€œNight Bombers” was filmed there during the war.Brilliant film,I have lost count of how many times I have watched it.
    I also think that the ground scenes for the iconic Film β€œDam Busters” were filmed there.
    Now, I am not for one second suggesting that your were there at the time of the filming of the later two aforementioned items,πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ but were you there in the TSR2 era.
    Sorry to bang on about aeroplanes on a model boat website guys and girls,but WW2 aviation is one of my major interests,as my Dad was Bomber Command
    Regards Bill.
    Bill
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Amongst other nutty things 😁 we used to drive the local farmers nuts by tunnelling into their huge haystacks and turning them into pirate ships, fortresses, WW2 bunkers etc etc.
    When they built a new row of houses on our estate (RAF Hemswell, Lincs) we did the same with the piles of bricks and breeze blocks. Lots of scaffold boards laying around to hold the roof up with πŸ˜€ Rafting using old oil drums was also popular! The races were quite hilarious.
    "Those were the days my friend ....!"
    Cheers All, whatever you are doing - try and have some fun!
    Doug 😎
    jbkiwi
    Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 7 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Spot on PJ, young ones these days just want a 'quick fix' , all about 'Me' these days, not what 'I' can do. If it takes more than 5 mins, it's a no-go. Now it's all about what I had for breakfast, where I was 5 mins ago etc! Young people today have more choice than we ever had by a country mile, and that appears to be the problem, they don't know what to choose.

I lived in Fiji for 2.5 yrs, a while ago, and kids there were still having fun zooming through puddles with a coconut husk on a stick, - basic stuff like we did. My friends and I used to race (sail) big bamboo leaves, (bent back and the stems pushed through) in big puddles, which was fun back in our younger days. Simple but fun.

JB
    Peejay
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    Flag
    Online: 5 seconds ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I think that the hobby of building or assembling model boats is very similar to the build vs assemble in the model airplane world. Some people just want something to take out and fly on the weekend. There have been very similar ready to sail boats for a number of years, the Atlantic tug, and the similar fishing boat, and a very large number of racing boats. Many of the tugs and fishing boats get modified to be more scale like, as do the scale ARTFs.

In assembling a large scale computer printed model, the goal seems to be how accurate a model can be to its prototype, rather than how accurately you can build it. At first, a number of fittings were available, not a lot different from the metal fittings that had been available for a long time, but more accurate to a particular model. But increases in equipment size and programming skills have made it possible to build, in some cases, an entire ship. A lot like building the 1:200 Titanic kit from the new kit, yet there are those selling more detail parts for that kit, down to plating and rivets, so on it goes.

It reminds me of the discussion of Fiberglass vs built up hills in the old days.

I guess the key issue is what the modeler wants - a museum piece to display, or something a little lessor to operate, or a very accurate model you built yourself.

In the world of the average scale modeler, I feel the same about people who can invest in a lathe and who have machining skills. I doubt that I will ever do that. But I have used a drill to use some level of β€˜machining.’

I started out when a carpenter on a construction site cut a point on a piece of 2x4, drilled mast holes in it and stuck cardboard sails on it, for my own β€œSanta Maria.” It sailed, and for my early age it was great.

But for years I have also collected plans, and have built kits, from scratch in wood, and plastic kits. I doubt that I will ever build a whole computer printed model, just like I will never fly an ARTF Spitfire.

I could say it is all the modeller's choice, and there is no harm - but we are losing the local hobby stores, which I used to love. But we were already losing them before 3D printing due to large online suppliers, etc., so that is another problem.
    So many ships . . . and so little time . . .
    Newby7
    Commodore
    Flag
    Online: 2 seconds ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    That is a good idea wish it were that easy to get younger ones involved.Before covid as a club we set up a pool and display for our boats three or four times a year.While the event was on we got lots of interest in the hobby from kids and adults. After the event is over out of sight out of mind we don't see anyone getting in contact to find out more.
    Rick
    AustinG
    Able Seaman
    Flag
    Online: 28 minutes ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    My first reply to the forum. Years ago when taking a marine navigation course and comparing GPS etc to paper charts that I better keep paper on board in case the electrics failed and its some what similar to this. I build semi scratch from plans, I make the parts and get great enjoyment from doing so. Maybe we need to get our kids and their kids involved to keep this tradition alive.
    AustinG
    Show 8 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info