• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!

Login to Remove Ads
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Brushed motors vs Brushless
    by Redpopman ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ( Petty Officer 2nd Class)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    10 Posts 9 Replies 0 Photos 14 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    andy_mart
    Able Seaman
    ๐Ÿ“ Brushed motors vs Brushless
    Flag
    Online: 4 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Not sure about this but from experience it all depends on load and drivetrain inefficiency. Brushless tend to have more torque generally compared to brushed i.e. they will spin a prop at similar speeds but more efficiently they are also lighter in weight overall. You can power any motor with any battery it's just you need specific speed controller.
    dave976
    Midshipman
    Flag
    Online: 2 seconds ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Redpopman
    Yes. People often have more than one model so buy another receiver for each new model.
    dave976
    Redpopman
    Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Flag
    Online: 6 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    so basically the TX and RX can be bought independently, if necessary ?

Thanks Dave you're a star for helping me out ๐Ÿ˜
    Red Budd
    dave976
    Midshipman
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    The ad should say what is included with the purchase but you can buy complete sets of Tx and Rx or just individual Tx and Rx. You really need to see what is being offered and if unsure I would send the seller a message to ask exactly what is included.
    dave 976
    Redpopman
    Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Next Question :-) If I buy a 2 Channel Radio Control will I get the receiver with it ? On eBay it doesn't specify if a receiver is part of the package or If I buy brand new will one come with it ?
    Red Budd
    camyaj
    Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Flag
    Online: 8 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I found 1 Brushless x1 prop equalled or bettered
    3x mfa 850's on my 1/24 Schnellboot
    Redpopman
    Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    (Bruce1946) brilliant info thank you so much๐Ÿ˜Š
    (dave976) that detail is perfect thank you, no doubt I'll be following up with some questions to confirm my next steps ๐Ÿ˜Š
    Red Budd
    dave976
    Midshipman
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Redpopman
    If this is the SLEC kit their website suggests:
    Parts Needed to Complete the Model
    6in x 4mm Prop Shaft
    3mm to 4mm Coupling
    2 Bladed Prop 35 with 4mm thread PR 834
    Brushless Motor : D2830-11 1000Kv
    30 amp Brushless ESC with Reverse
    2S Li-Po Battery Pack
    White Metal Fittings Pack Available Part No PR810A
    2 Channel Radio Control

For a 16" boat this set up will give lively performance at minimum weight.
    You could go for a brushed option but the weight would be greater and the preformance not so fast.

Whatever you choose you will need to purchase an ESC, batteries and chargers.
    LiPo's need a charger suitable to charge safely and The Esc for a brushless motor need to have a low volt cut off setting to protect your LiPo. You could use NiMhs but there would be a weight increase.

You have not given a budget for the purchases so I suggest you do some research and choose an option that you can afford.
    Good luck with your search and if you need more help with confirming your choice please ask
    dave976
    bruce1946
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    Online: 5 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    My understanding is brushed have lower RPM more torque Brushless High RPM low torque
    Brushed will run longer periods like hours where LIPO's are short run times for Brushless.
    Brushed usually use Lead acid which are heavier and give more Ballast for boats.
    Scale boats tugs brushed Speed boats Brushless

Brushed and Brushless Motors: Advantages and Disadvantages Depending on your application, there are reasons why you might choose to use a brushless motor over a brushed motor. The following table summarizes the main advantages and disadvantages of each motor type:
    Brushed motor Brushless motor
    Lifetime Short (brushes wear out) Long (no brushes to wear)
    Speed and Acceleration Medium High
    Efficiency Medium High
    Electrical Noise Noisy (bush arcing) Quiet
    Acoustic Noise & Torque Ripple Poor Medium (trapezoidal) or good (sine)
    Cost Lowest Medium (added electronics)
    Lifetime
    As previously mentioned, one of the disadvantages of brushed motors is that there is mechanical wear of the brushes and commutator. Carbon brushes in particular are sacrificial, and in many motors they are designed to be replaced periodically as part of a maintenance program. The soft copper of the commutator is also slowly worn away by the brushes, and eventually reach a point where the motor will no longer operate. Since brushless motors have no moving contacts, they do not suffer from this wear.
    Speed and Acceleration
    Brushed motors rotational speed can be limited by the brushes and commutator, as well as the mass of the rotor. At very high speeds, the brush to commutator contact can become erratic, and brush arcing increases. Most brushed motors also use a core of laminated iron in the rotor, which gives them large rotational inertia. This limits the acceleration and deceleration rates of the motor. It is possible to build a brushless motor with very powerful rare earth magnets on the rotor, which minimizes the rotational inertia. Of course, that increases the cost.
    Electrical Noise
    The brushes and commutator form a kind of electrical switch. As the motor turns, the switches are being opened and closed, while significant current is flowing through the rotor windings, which are inductive. This results in arcing at the contacts. This generates a large amount of electrical noise, which can get coupled into sensitive circuits. Arcing can be somewhat mitigated by adding capacitors or RC snubbers across the brushes, but the instantaneous switching of the commutator always generates some electrical noise.
    Acoustic Noise
    Brushed motors are โ€œhard switchedโ€ โ€“ that is, current is abruptly moved from one winding to another. The torque generated varies over the rotation of the rotor as the windings get switched on and off. With a brushless motor, it is possible to control the winding currents in a way that gradually transitions current from one winding to another. This lowers torque ripple, which is a mechanical pulsation of energy onto the rotor. Torque ripple causes vibration and mechanical noise, especially at low rotor speeds.
    Cost
    Since brushless motors require more sophisticated electronics, the overall cost of a brushless drive is higher than that of a brush motor. Even though a brushless motor is simpler to manufacture than a brushed motor, since it lacks brushes and a commutator, brushed motor technology is very mature and manufacturing costs are low. This is changing as brushless motors become more popular, especially in high volume applications like automotive motors. Also, the cost of electronics, like microcontrollers, continues to decline, making brushless motors more attractive. Summary Due to declining costs and better performance, brushless motors are gaining in popularity in many applications. But there are still places where brushed motors make more sense. Much can be learned by looking at the adoption of brushless motors in automobiles. As of 2020, most motors that are running whenever the car is running โ€“ things like pumps and fans โ€“ have moved from brushed motors to brushless motors for their increased reliability. The added cost of the motor and electronics more than makes up for the lower rate of field failures and decreased maintenance requirements. On the other hand, motors that are operated infrequently โ€“ for example, motors that move power seats and power windows โ€“ have remained predominately brush motors. The reasoning is that the total run time over the life of the car is very small, and it is very unlikely that the motors will fail over the life of the car.
    Redpopman
    Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Now that I've ventured into the world of RC as part of my Sea Urchin build I've reached the point of installing the motor for the prop, so the question is why is there a brushed and brushless version of motors and what ESC and battery are needed? I was given the brushless motor with the kit but no other electrics.
    PS
    can't attach any photos ๐Ÿค”
    Red Budd

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info