• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!

Login to Remove Ads
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Does anybody have any information about this steam engine?
    by DWBrinkman ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ ( Warrant Officer)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    13 Posts 12 Replies 6 Photos 30 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    dave976
    Sub-Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ“ Does anybody have any information about this steam engine?
    Flag
    Online: 32 minutes ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Dave
    I can not see any decal on the Pics posted, probably got lost in the conversion to up load. That said you can confirm you have a Mamod.
    I googled Mamod ME1 and came up with a load of data and U-tube accounts regarding this model from the 1970's.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpoYmIYMJHA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iixE4O6FFe8
    a very early 1937 version
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KfIXuCf9r0
    Should be easy enough to fabricate a fire grate to take either the solid tablets or meths.
    there is a useful site at
    http://rolywilliams.com/Mamod%20ME1-37.html
    In my opinion the users had the pressure valve set far too high resulting in the high level of vibration also caused by the engine not mounted securely whilst running.
    I would pressure test the boiler before steaming as it is over 40years old.
    The prop does need to be in water to lubricate the bearing and in the videos I suspect a worn bearing is also part of the vibration problem.
    Hope this helps you progress but please do take care and don't follow the unwise running practices shown in the video.
    dave976
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpoYmIYMJHA
    ๐Ÿ”—
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iixE4O6FFe8
    ๐Ÿ”—
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KfIXuCf9r0
    ๐Ÿ”—
    http://rolywilliams.com/Mamod%20ME1-37.html
    ๐Ÿ”—
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 2 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Dave B,
    First off: I am by no means a steam aficionado, BUT ...
    I believe that gel fuels were developed long after this motor was.
    From Mike's description, burner box with cotton wool, I would surmise that the intended fuel was liquid. E.g. meths. gasoline might get somewhat hair-raising! ๐Ÿ’ฅ๐Ÿ˜ญ

That said; modern gel fuels (or high viscosity) were developed as a (somewhat) safer version of such liquid fuels. So you should be able to use them with impunity. Suck it and see!
    The solid fuel tablets I've only used in my Put-Put boat. Or yonks ago in my Jetex motors.
    I've been using gel fuels for some years to 'fire up' my ceramic volcano on the terrace.
    Never any problems.
    Bought the volcano from a (very pretty๐Ÿ˜‰) lady on the fringe of an exposition of roses in Wasserburg, ca 100 clicks east of Munich.
    ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Young at heart ๐Ÿ˜‰ Slightly older in other places.๐Ÿ˜Š Cheers Doug
    mturpin013
    Vice Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 14 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    As to the spirit burner itโ€™s simply a tin oblong box filled with cotton wool and a wire mesh over the top very easy to make.
    DWBrinkman
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    Online: 20 seconds ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Dave976,
    If you look at the first picture I posted (Apr 30), you will see that it has the original Mamod decal on the chrome boiler cover.
    It certainly looks to be a ME-1.
    It is missing the burner box, which I believe was originally for some sort of gel fuel. The burner boxes I see on eBay are for solid fuel.
    I am hoping that somebody can tell me if solid fuel tablets are ok to use, and if the burner boxes on eBay will fit and work.
    A copy of the instructions would be awesome!!
    Thanks,
    Dave B
    So far my collection resembles "The Island of Misfit Toys". I've picked up several boats that are old builds and have been neglected. I'm giving them the TLC they need, hoping to bring them back to their former glory. Once I get enough practice/ experience I intend to take on a full build.
    dave976
    Sub-Lieutenant
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Dave
    I am not sure this is from the Mammod stable and looking at sites in the UK I have not managed to find anything similar. There were other manufacturers as model steam engines were popular as toys in the 50's and 60's.
    It could be an American maker as there are castings and pressed steel used that rather rule out a homemade item.
    Value is always a difficult subject and is often what the buyer is prepared to pay rather than the actual value.
    It is a really nice article from a former time and would sit well in any collectors display.
    I suggest you treat it as a static display and not try and steam it. If you want to see it run use compressed air which will be far safer.
    As you are buying from a friend I am sure you can sit down with a nice drink and come to a price. After all you both want to have the model maintained for future posterity and who can put a price on that?
    dave976
    DWBrinkman
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    So, I now have it in my possession. It does not appear to have ever been mounted nor fired. It does not have the original box it came in, nor the instructions/owners manual. It is also missing the burner box.
    I have found some burner boxes listed on eBay (all of them in the UK), they look like they would be about $47.00 to $52.00 shipped to the states (of course shipping is more than the product, sigh).
    I have not officially "purchased" it yet, my friend said "pay me what you think it's worth".
    So, my questions are: Considering it is missing the burner box and instructions, what is a fair price for what will most likely be a "shelf queen". And, does anyone have a set of instructions they would either copy and sell me or scan and post here for me?
    Thanks in advance for any help or input.
    So far my collection resembles "The Island of Misfit Toys". I've picked up several boats that are old builds and have been neglected. I'm giving them the TLC they need, hoping to bring them back to their former glory. Once I get enough practice/ experience I intend to take on a full build.
    mturpin013
    Vice Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 14 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    "what you see is what you got"?
    That's about it, but steam it up and enjoy it for what it is
    scout13
    Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Flag
    Online: 3 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I have one and the box with 14shillings on it that is old money.
    I was told that they were made for meccano the chrome ones were made between 1963 to 1965 hope this helps
    dave976
    Sub-Lieutenant
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Dave
    The Mamod steam engines were were and are very popular simple low pressure oscillating engines often using spirit fuel in liquid or solid form.
    They often require the flywheel to be flicked with a finger to bring to life and will then run until the fuel or water runs out.
    Once started there is little or no control possible but in an enclosed pond can have the rudder set to run in circles. Power is not great so only really suitable for a small model.
    They provide a good introduction to steam power and I'm sure many enjoyed playing with their models. Probably encouraged many steam enthusiasts in their youth so excellent really.
    Even if you can't put the model in a boat you could use it as a static display and perhaps exhibit for others to learn and enjoy.
    As with all steam powered engines there are H&S concerns from the flame and the scalding hot steam but used correctly they are safe.
    I do hope you take up the challenge and restore this piece of nostalgia to its original condition, even if you don't actually steam it the end result will be worthwhile.
    dave976
    DWBrinkman
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Mturpin,
    OK, so I know nothing about these. When you say "in its current configuration", does that mean it can be modified/upgraded to add speed & fuel water consumption? Or is it pretty much "what you see is what you got"?
    Like I originally said, I currently don't have any plans to use a steam engine in anything. BUT, I hate to pass up what is almost a gift .....
    Dave
    Show 3 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info