• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Save £50 when you join Bulb
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Night Watch
    by RNinMunich ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช ( Fleet Admiral)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    774 Posts 773 Replies 42 Photos 832 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    KenThompson
    Midshipman
    ๐Ÿ“ Night Watch
    Flag
    Online: 1 day ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Nice to be back at local waters again, although weather conditions prevented sailing. The new security measures are now in place at the entrance, but you will find your key will operate both locks, and both posts work.
    Nice to see you both on Saturday at breakfast parade.
    Cheers for now
    Mid Ken
    May the wind always be always where you want it .
    KenThompson
    Midshipman
    ๐Ÿ“ Night Watch
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    thank you Nerys for your welcome home message.
    Nerys, yep, I think the holiday did us some good, although the weather was very hot , to hot for comfort.
    hope you and Alice had a comfortable Christmas and new year.

I will be at the Bristol channel waters on Saturday, after breakfast and meeting ,of course.

I hope your hospital visit is comfortable (or as possible), how is our medical officer Alice? hope she is looking after herself ,after all she will be concerned about you and your condition.

so, for now Nerys, take care , and Ill see you when you are better.
    cheers
    Mid Ken
    Nerys
    Commander
    ๐Ÿ“ Night Watch
    Flag
    Online: 4 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Figtree7nts, Just noticed that you are now able to fly your vice's pennant. Many congratulations, well deserved.

Cdr. Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    Nerys
    Commander
    ๐Ÿ“ Night Watch
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Middy Ken, Welcome home from your foreign deployment, trust you and Judy are well rested and pleased at seeing your family. Hope you are fit and rareing to go. Your lake awaits you! Bristol Channel Patrol is in need of exercising as I am still hospital bound.

Cheers, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    Cashrc
    Midshipman
    ๐Ÿ“ Night Watch
    Flag
    Online: 10 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Attn: Fleet RNinMunich, Commander Nerys, et.al
    Belated Holiday greetings and SITREP Western Fleet,Texas Navy.

The newest flagship of the Texas Navy is ready for trials. The original schedule was going to be this week as Iโ€™m on holiday from my civilian job..however, the whole barracks was under the weather over the Christmas holiday. I came down with it first as it was being passed around the shop the past 3 weeks. I then decided to share it with my wife and daughter as the family thatโ€™s miserable together is...well, miserable together.
    In all seriousness, the Commodore, Teresa, got it worse than I did. Whatever bacterial infection we got decided to mutate into a mild bout of Pneumonia, but sheโ€™s getting good treatment and seems to be on the mend.
    Also, Cadet Grace (my daughter) has herself a BOYFRIEND at the tender age of 14. Heโ€™s a good kid, good family, met him in Church camp, so thereโ€™s that. But, between the holidays, the sickness, and playing Uber for my daughter we are both beat. Oh, did I mention that the ROmarin Dolly with the fittings kit AND the fire monitor kit got back ordered from Harbor Models in California and has just now passed thru customs. That really upset my wife, as she ordered it for my Christmas present. I told her itโ€™s just one of โ€œthoseโ€ Christmases, things happen, and weโ€™ve been blessed for the past 25 years that most of our holidays have been very good ones.
    Anyway, thatโ€™s the SITREP in a nutshell. Weโ€™re all a little cranky save Grace, as sheโ€™s having quite the time..think she needs a โ€œcharacter buildingโ€ exercise...like cleaning the litter boxes.๐Ÿ˜Š
    One other thing. Iโ€™m Texas Navy attached to the Royal Navy, correct? Do I hoist the Texas ensign or the Union Jack? Please advise soonest.
    Respectfully, Midshipman Hargett, Texas Navy
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ Night Watch
    Flag
    Online: Today!
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Still seem to be some Atcos around Nerys๐Ÿ˜‰
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59TKAnTNE1k

https://www.google.com/search?q=atco+boat+impeller&client=firefox-b-d&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=hVFDnO4pNjgf3M%253A%252CqNLucjoU2JqlLM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kRPV6pBhXSs0e9LUeQ3svdFKFPrrA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwifp7LLzNbmAhXQ0aQKHb9SCXYQ9QEwCnoECAkQGA#imgrc=hVFDnO4pNjgf3M:

I remember some years ago we used something like that, but with 90ยฐ drive, on our Danube cruises. The 'boat' was an ex USS Army inflatable pontoon bridge boat - a huge black sausage๐Ÿ˜ฎ. Inflating it took ages, even with a compressor.
    We were forever patching it up but it was big enough to take 3 families, camping gear (incl. a huge gas grill) and supplies (another crate in the bow please Peter๐Ÿ˜). We used to go down as far as Krems. Some nice wines in the region ๐Ÿ˜‹
    Only 3/4 HP but great fun ๐Ÿ˜Š Except if you forgot to put a bathing towel over the black rubber 'sausage' before sitting or lying on it. When the July/August sun was out it got hot enough to 1st degree burn your skinโ˜€๏ธ๐Ÿ’ฅ๐Ÿ˜ญ
    How's the rigging going?
    Best wishes to Alice 'The Tool Box Queen' ๐Ÿ˜‰ as well. Sheds all finished?
    Cheers, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59TKAnTNE1k
    ๐Ÿ”—
    https://www.google.com/search?q=atco+boat+impeller&client=firefox-b-d&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=hVFDnO4pNjgf3M%253A%252CqNLucjoU2JqlLM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kRPV6pBhXSs0e9LUeQ3svdFKFPrrA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwifp7LLzNbmAhXQ0aQKHb9SCXYQ9QEwCnoECAkQGA#imgrc=hVFDnO4pNjgf3M:
    ๐Ÿ”—
    โ–ถ๏ธ
    Young at heart - slightly older in other places ๐Ÿ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    Nerys
    Commander
    ๐Ÿ“ Night Watch
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Doug, Boats with long direct drive shafts seem to be common in many countries, not only in shallow water, and also on quite big boats. I saw a picture of one once being driven by a car engine mounted on the after deck.
    I remember, it must have been about 1954, an attempt by a garden mower company to produce an outboard with a straight over the stern drive. It was called the Atco Boat Impeller.
    I watched a demonstration on the hard at the Medway Yacht Club. The motor was duly attached to the transom of a dinghy, usual clamping outboard method. With some difficulty the motor was started, it then jumped off the dinghy falling into the water. Don't worry, said the demonstrator, it will run under water. Glug, glug, glug, motor stops. End of demonstration.
    Advertising ceased after a short time. I never saw one in use or heard of anyone buying one.

All the best, Nerys
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ Night Watch
    Flag
    Online: Today!
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Way past your bedtime Nerys! ๐Ÿ˜ 
    Mine too ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ™„
    Happy rigging and sail bending ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
    I seem to remember seeing such boats with the long drive shafts in S. Korea too.
    Odd looking but they work๐Ÿ˜‰, especially in shallow rivers.
    Best wishes, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Young at heart - slightly older in other places ๐Ÿ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    Nerys
    Commander
    ๐Ÿ“ Night Watch
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Ken,
    Pleased to hear you are enjoying yourself. Our Christmas was dominated by the dialysis, as is everything. The only difference was that they didn't work Christmas Day, just moved the days around. I know the sort of boats with the drive shaft going straight over the stern, I expected you to see those. Common in lots of countries, not only the Far East. I've been doing a bit on the barge, made the mainsail and topsail over Christmas and they are bent on, just going to set up the topmast standing rigging.
    See you when you return.

All the best, Nerys and Alice.
    KenThompson
    Midshipman
    ๐Ÿ“ Night Watch
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Nerys, youโ€™ve been a bit quiet lately, hope you are ok.
    Did you and Alice have a good Christmas, hope it went ok ,, hospital free.
    They donโ€™t celebrate Christmas here like they do in the UK
    We went out to a hotel for Christmas lunch, this was a very elaborate occasion, eat what you want, drink what you want, there was food there for every nationality. If you went home hungry, or sober, then that was your own fault.
    Iโ€™m hoping for some cool weather for when we get back, this hot stuff is no good , hehe.
    The shipping line is very busy, big boats up and down and a few smaller fishing boats, very long an narrow, very long drive shafts entering the water about two metres behind the backend.
    O well, Iโ€™ll let you get to bed, just as we are getting up!!.
    By for now
    See you when I get back
    MidM ken
    Show 764 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info