• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Save £50 when you join Bulb
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Night Watch
    by RNinMunich ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช ( Fleet Admiral)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    753 Posts 752 Replies 42 Photos 811 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    marky
    Lieutenant Commander
    ๐Ÿ“ Night Watch
    Flag
    Online: 7 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    We were very lucky as Boys ,as my dad was chief production engineer in a variety of different works and taught us metalwork ,welding and other skills from an early age and let us have time in the workshop at weekends if it wasn't busy, to work on our projects many a bicycle was chopped and altered after the film easy rider came out (my youngest brother still customizes motor bikes ) ,we also built a trike with a BSA Bantam engine ,
    Nerys
    Commander
    ๐Ÿ“ Night Watch
    Flag
    Online: 2 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Sounds great. Would love to see pictures. Heath Robinson or Emmett comes to mind. I did try sailing a bike once.

Cheers, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    marky
    Lieutenant Commander
    ๐Ÿ“ Night Watch
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Ours was 3 scaffolding poles welded into a triangle with a motorcycle steering column welded onto the front with shortened forks with tiller steering fitted to the yolks ,trailer suspension and wheels at the back ,the mast and jib were aluminium poles, loads of wire rope ,the sail was an old tarp (with a skull and cross bones โ˜ painted on) ,the braking system were pivots with a wooden block attached with a bit of old car tyre as the brake block ,2 old plastic canteen chairs were the seats ,one of my brothers may still have the photos and cini film will try and get a copy and post them if someone still has them .
    Cheers Marky
    Nerys
    Commander
    ๐Ÿ“ Night Watch
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    In reality Mark, a real one is better still, but in the context of this forum, I'd like to know if model Ice or Land Yachts are feasible. I've always wanted to try the real thing, but somehow never had the opportunity. Sure you enjoyed your experience despite the bruises.

Cheers, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    marky
    Lieutenant Commander
    ๐Ÿ“ Night Watch
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Haven't made a model one ,but made a real sand yacht with my brothers years ago when we lived up in Wick and would go to Reiss sands to run it at the weekend and holidays (not Sunday in the north of Scotland),fun days and a few bruises no crash helmets just goggles.
    Cheers Marky
    Nerys
    Commander
    ๐Ÿ“ Night Watch
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Now that I've started talking about Ice and Land Yachts, has anyone ever made an RC model of either?. Not being very technically minded, I don't know if either would be a practical proposition but would be interested to hear what others think.

Cheers, Nerys
    Nerys
    Commander
    ๐Ÿ“ Night Watch
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    The lake at Les Rousses is quite shallow, consequently the ice gets very thick and of course it is a biggish lake. The Ice Yacht Club of Switzerland use it regularly as well as individuals. There seemed to be all sorts, varying from the DN which was popularised by the Detroit News newspaper before WW2 up to more modern ones as well as sledges with a makeshift sail Even people on skates holding a piece of cloth as a sail (often falling over). It all looked great fun.
    I remember one day, watching the Ice Yachts at Les Rousses, then driving on down to Geneva, where, an hour or so later, I was watching real yachts sailing on the lake in a beautiful (almost) summer's day.

Cheers, Nerys
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ Night Watch
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Nerys,
    Lake's not really big enough or the ice ever thick enough for ice yachts, unless you mean RC model ones? Never seen any though.
    Some winters the ice is thick enough to walk on. Then there's a lot of ice skating and curling. Tried the latter myself several years ago, was quite fun. As a league Ten Pin bowler I enjoyed the challenge. Dun' arf make ya feet cold after a while thoughโ„๏ธโ˜น๏ธ
    We used to take a sort of Samovar arrangement full of Glรผhwein on to the ice with us. Had to take a small wooden table with us as well to make sure it didn't melt it's way into the lake!
    Last few years the ice has rarely been thick enough though.
    Damn global warming๐Ÿ˜ 
    Good luck with the rigging, don't get knotted!!๐Ÿ˜ฎ
    Cheers, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Young at heart - slightly older in other places ๐Ÿ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    Nerys
    Commander
    ๐Ÿ“ Night Watch
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Thank you for your congratulations Doug. Sorry to hear you have some health problems too, you have my sincerest sympathy. That's my problem too, a boatyard full of boats awaiting finishing and the flesh too weak to do much about it.

I imagine your lake freezes over, is it suitable for ice yachting? I used to watch it on a lake at Les Rousses in the Jura, but never had the opportunity to try it.

Just going to attempt a little work on my current barge project. Rigging the topmast hopefully.

All the best, Nerys
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ Night Watch
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Sorry to hear that Commander,
    (How did I manage to miss your promotion celebrations!?๐Ÿค”)
    My commiserations, can 100% sympathise, my 'little' health problems have been draining my energy lately. As my dear ol' Dad used to say 'All my get up and go has got up and went!'
    Head still full of ideas but the flesh is weak! Grrrrr!๐Ÿ˜ 
    Sailing is now On Ice here due to sub-zero temperatures the last week or so.
    Lake not totally frozen over yet, but ice is forming along the shores making launching a hazardous exercise!โ„๏ธโ„๏ธโ„๏ธ
    So the WeiรŸwurst and Obstler smugglers have a free hand at the moment๐Ÿ˜ 
    Oh well! Back to the slipway! ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ˜‰
    Look after yourselves.
    Cheers, Adm. Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Young at heart - slightly older in other places ๐Ÿ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    Show 743 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info