• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Re-purposing an old Hull.
    by Colin H ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ( Commander)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    25 Posts 24 Replies 0 Photos 65 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    DodgyGeezer
    Sub-Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ“ Re-purposing an old Hull.
    Flag
    Online: 3 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    "...in the 60s there were four model shops within walking distance from my house......I would catch the bus there most Saturdays and go and buy a kit to see me through the next week....And now, model shops are few and far between.....To anyone with a grandchild who has the slightest interest in modelmaking then encourage them for all they are worth........"

Yes. That was why I set up the EeZeBilt and Marinecraft sites - to enable this generation of kids to have the same experience that we had, of creating something that really worked on your own, with minimal adult help...

I had thought that it would be quite easy for modelling grandparents to download the shapes, cut them out from balsa sheet, and present grandchildren with a small simple kit for Christmas. Making one of these simple kits is how many of us started, but kits like these are hard to find commercially nowadays.

Unfortunately, few people seem to have done this. In most cases the sites seem to be a nostalgia-trip for adults. Which is a shame, because the original designer of the EeZeBilts, Ernie Webster, was a teacher, and put a lot of design lessons into his kits. Building a series of EeZeBilts (though they have a similar base design) will give quite a lot of experience in different constructional tweaks, and improve confidence in handling materials.

We are coming up to Christmas. Perhaps now is a good time to remind people of this resource and the aim behind it?
    marky
    Commander
    Flag
    Online: 7 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    As a wee boy living in Leith in the 60s there were four model shops within walking distance from my house and even the newsagent shop just down the road sold Airfix kits (the ones in the poly bags),must admit my favourite was central wood crafts in Duke Street run by two elderly sisters which sold everything ,they had drawers full of decals ,remember my brother buying American Frankenstein and Dracula kits .
    Cheers Marky
    Nerys
    Captain
    Flag
    Online: 7 seconds ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Reading these posts and all the comments about attracting new blood to the hobby, I can't help harking back to the years of WW2. I doubt if there was a town without a model shop. Kits of scale model aircraft were everywhere, most kids bought them or were given them and made them up. I was lucky, there were two shops in central Cardiff and I would catch the bus there most Saturdays and go and buy a kit to see me through the next week. Bedrooms would be adorned with aircraft of all nations hung from the ceiling. I remember seeing a kit of a Russian Stormovik fighter bomber for the first time, I had to buy it.
    Flying, or more usually crashing model aircraft abounded too, at least mine always did. There were kits of boats too but they weren't as popular in those days. I suppose I built aircraft and ships fairly evenly. Dinky toys made beautiful die cast ships from liners to submarines. I remember being given a die cast aircraft carrier complete with three aircraft. Would love to have it now and all the Dinkies I acquired.
    And now, model shops are few and far between, few kids are interested in models. Unless it has a screen and squeaks it is an irrelevance to the average child. To anyone with a grandchild who has the slightest interest in modelmaking then encourage them for all they are worth. It is so important.

Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    Colin H
    Commander
    Flag
    Online: 9 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Doug, thank you for your sympathy, it's all down to walking the dog in the fog. But on the mend now.
    The grandson doesn't have a phone, and I believe the school does not allow phones.
    But as soon as they have something they want to put into wood I will be able to photograph it.
    As for your generous offer of rc setup I know that they already have 27mhz and 2.4ghz systems donated by me and another child's parent.
    I am sure that it won't be long before I can get pictures of the progress.
    Cheers Colin.
    Fair winds and calm waters, COLIN.
    redpmg
    Lieutenant Commander
    Flag
    Online: 14 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Doug the Masai do actually have cellphones - one of a SA cellphone company's biggest customers is Kenya - they provide the towers etc and even in Mozambique you can buy a sim card at any old isolated store and connect quickly.
    Not sure the Mongols don't either.............. They ride motor bikes a lot nowadays instead of horses & camels too...........
    redpmg
    Lieutenant Commander
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Colin - hope you are better soon and getting back to the project - we really need to recruit new members into our hobby. (better half calls it my obsession......)
    Was thinking its funny/strange that so many more bits are now available for model boaters plus a plethora of kits and RTR's - more and cheaper items in electronics than years ago and yet there are fewer and fewer of us.............
    redpmg
    Lieutenant Commander
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Doug I think Dodgy meant for Colin to look at the site so as to give a bit of guidance when needed - not for the kids to gawk at..............
    Besides most of us now use the net to research things we want to know about, inspiration and the practical way of doing it.........
    Its one of the things we do on this site - an exchange of ideas..........
    The kids would use the net for projects for history, geography etc so why should they change their methods when building boats.......

Interesting that my own son who is in IT - who has been very much locked to screens for many years - now he has his own son is very much into practical things - and uses computers purely for work & communication.
    jbkiwi
    Commodore
    Flag
    Online: 10 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Were you referring by any chance to D.U.S.T.E.D Doug, - (Down Under Smoke Technology and Electrical Distribution Co)๐Ÿ˜€?
    JB
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 6 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Colin,
    Sorry to hear you've been crook mate ๐Ÿค” (as our hyperactive smoking members from dahn souff might say๐Ÿ˜‰) GWS and that's an order Commander ๐Ÿ˜Ž

But very glad to hear that your heart-warming project is progressing.๐Ÿ‘
    I assume that your grandson also possesses a Dumbphone (everyone on the planet except the Mongols and the Masai seem to have one๐Ÿ™„ I've even seen docus of Inuits using them!) so maybe he could take a few pics of the designs - maybe you can show him how - if he hasn't already shown YOU๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ฎ?
    BTW If necessary, and if you wish, I could donate a a simple RC set for such a deserving project.
    PM or mail me if any interest to discuss.
    All the very best to you and Caroline.
    Cheers, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    PS When Caroline's got a minute or two to spare can she come over to fix up a couple of nasty scratches starboard side of my personal drivable undercarriage?
    Blasted tight underground car parks!โ˜น๏ธ๐Ÿ˜ 
    Young at heart - slightly older in other places ๐Ÿ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 6 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I think you've missed the point Dodgy,
    Whole objective of Colin and his grandson's excellent initiative is to get the kids thinking and creating their own designs, and to get them away from staring into screens for a while.
    Being 'mind poisoned' by designs shown on the internet defeats both objectives.
    Doug
    Young at heart - slightly older in other places ๐Ÿ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    Show 15 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info