The ship is in sailing condition now and somewhere on my main computer I have got pictures of her sailing at Eastern Park Lake in Norwich a couple of years ago. I actually use one of them as my background screen on my iPad but I don’t know how to get it of the thing to simply post it as a picture.
Most of the work that needed to be done was done when I got the boat and now it’s just got a lot of old string giving up the ghost occasionally and falling to bits with age. I always try to be very conservative on any type of working restoration basically for two reasons.
All the cordage on something old like this is linen or cotton thread. It changes colour with age, becomes brittle if it hasn’t been waxed when first put on (because as a sailing model it keeps getting wet and over time degrades as an organic and eventually just disintegrates).
Take a look at the hoops on the arft mast on the photo I originally posted. This ship sits on a book case in what my wife calls our “library” area at the top of the stairs. I must pass it five times a day and I hadn't noticed that over the last year half the hoops had become detached and dropped down on the arft mast.
Problem is when you try to replace any cordage it doesn’t match colour wise. If you replace one little bit it stands out a mile. I do age things by running cordage through very very thinned down acrylic paint and then passing it through thumb and forefinger to squeeze most of it out. Let it dry and check for colour match. If it doesn’t repeat until you get it right. Just use bits of cord and when you know it’s a match do quite a bit of it as you will never get exactly the same results again and you know you will need more eventually.
Second reason I am conservative is that it’s not just the colour match - it’s the cord twist and diameter. My wife complains of my constantly growing collection of spools of linen thread. If I see one going cheap I get it as eventually if I live long enough I will find a use for it.
Waxing (bees wax) the thread really helps preserve it, just drag it over a block of the stuff before applying. Gets into the fibres, gives them a bit of protection and helps hold knots. I always fix the knot with tiny a dab of matt yatch varnish.