• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Beyond the pale
    by mturpin013 ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ( Commander)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    9 Posts 8 Replies 0 Photos 32 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ Beyond the pale
    Flag
    Online: 11 seconds ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Aha! You mean Kim Dotcom I guess JB.
    No, guy I'm thinking of was a little earlier - I think.
    ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    The Bugs are on the run ๐Ÿ˜Š โ„๏ธโ„๏ธโ„๏ธ Get out and run those Sea Trials!! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    jbkiwi
    Rear Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ Beyond the pale
    Flag
    Online: 5 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    RE - I was promptly bombarded with a diatribe about 'Internet should be free for all', often quoting some guy (whose name escapes me now but must be in my archive) who allegedly conducted a militant campaign for free internet.

Doug, I hope you are not referring to our 'โค๏ธfavoriteโค๏ธ' NZ resident, - der extragroBe Deutsche gentleman KDC ( or the German formerly known as herr Kim Schmitz) hiding from the Americans, per chance?๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜Ž
    JB
    Newby7
    Midshipman
    ๐Ÿ“ Beyond the pale
    Flag
    Online: 16 minutes ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    It seems easy for some to cry wolf and protest but harder to come up with a solution for a problem .
    Rick
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ Beyond the pale
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Absolutely Mike๐Ÿ‘
    I raised this topic a year or so ago in an attempt to drum up some more support for First Sea Lord Stephen (Fireboat) in his efforts.
    I was promptly bombarded with a diatribe about 'Internet should be free for all', often quoting some guy (whose name escapes me now but must be in my archive) who allegedly conducted a militant campaign for free internet.
    My researches turned up that he had indeed been arrested at least once for his activities, BUT also that his theme was free software not free internet access as such.

What the Free Internet / Free Website advocates seem to forget or ignore (or just don't realise) is that the WWW infrastructure depends on a whole heap of expensive hardware, which needs to be purchased, installed, maintained and upgraded, at ever shorter intervals, when tech advances and increased load (that's us ๐Ÿ˜‰) requires it. The guys that provide all this are not altruists and like to eat and have a roof over their heads!
    Then there are the website creators, in our case Stephen, who has a 'day job' and keeps our site running out of interest and fun! But it takes a lot of his time. A few of us try to help him as best we can but we cannot alter/upgrade any coding. Only Stephen can do that.

I've also heard the argument that 'I'd like to contribute but I only have my pension'.
    So do I, but I can still manage a biannual two figure contribution.
    I don't know the precise current site costs but I figure very roughly that if just 300 of the 'alleged' 5000 plus members each contributed only ยฃ1.00 per annum we'd be home n dry.
    The alternative would be to have the site flooded with paid Pop-up Adverts to cover the standing costs. I'm sure that none of us want that.

So, as in the gist of Mike's post, -
    Use the site for free if you wish, it's the best source of bin there dun that help you could wish for. BUT don't moan if you don't like the way it works!!!
    Constructive and implementable suggestions are of course welcome.
    Soap box packed away for the night๐Ÿ˜‰
    G'night All, Sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs bite๐Ÿ˜
    Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ’ค๐Ÿ’ค๐Ÿ’ค
    The Bugs are on the run ๐Ÿ˜Š โ„๏ธโ„๏ธโ„๏ธ Get out and run those Sea Trials!! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ Beyond the pale
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Thank you for your affidavit Pete ๐Ÿ˜Š
    Your ever so 'umble Fleet Admiral๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ˜
    I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.
    Through my work I got involved with microprocessors at their 4 bit advent and began programming as soon as portable, and then Personal, computers began to appear end of the 70s / early 80s. Over the following four decades ๐Ÿ˜ฎ and with the advent of the WWW I developed various techniques to 'find stuff' quickly - if it was at all available to be found!
    This was crucial to my success in naval communication systems development and marketing.
    My engineering training, and natural curiosity, helped me to quickly analyse problems and find solutions.
    You may have noticed that I steer clear of sailing tackle queries though! Not my forte!
    I happily leave that to Captain Nerys - our resident expert-ess!๐Ÿ‘ I can still learn too๐Ÿ˜

Rather than rusting in my retirement I still enjoy a challenge and can track down most things to do with ships ๐Ÿ˜‰ At the beginning I was working with kilobytes, now Terra-bytes!!
    Now I back up my 'Model Boat Stuff' directory monthly on a 2TB external drive. I've long since had to start by first deleting the oldest in order to have space to store the latest!
    It's sometimes quicker to find something again on the web than to find it in my archive๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿค”
    As Einstein said
    "The brain is not for cluttering up with facts, but for thinking - and knowing where to find them."!!๐Ÿ˜ That's where the training and experience comes in!

Cheers All and Very Happy modelling๐Ÿ‘
    Looking forward very much to seeing all your Lockdown Builds clogging up the model sailing lakes around the world๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜€ Don't forget to fit TCAS!!!๐Ÿ’ฅ๐Ÿ˜ญ
    Stay safe Folks,
    Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Rookysailor
    Commander
    ๐Ÿ“ Beyond the pale
    Flag
    Online: 1 hour ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Totally agree with your comments Mike, the information and knowledge I have aquired on this site since being an early member is something that I could not put a price on, have a problem!!! members are only too pleased to help, scouring the net, and relaying places that you may acquire the bits your after.
    And must not forget our Fleet 'Doug' who is the guy who can assist most members with any problem,
    I'm sure most will agree.๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Money well spent....๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Cheers, Pete
    neilmc
    Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class
    ๐Ÿ“ Beyond the pale
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Totally agree Mike I've been off and on the site for some years but always contribute when back๐Ÿ‘
    Just finished printing your blog booklet really nice looking boat ๐Ÿ˜€
    Learning so much more with each reply to my posts. One day I may have a boat in the water ๐Ÿค”
    Scratchbuilder
    Warrant Officer
    ๐Ÿ“ Beyond the pale
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Mike.
    I totally agree.
    Bill
    Bill
    mturpin013
    Commander
    ๐Ÿ“ Beyond the pale
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I find it quite annoying when people complain about the web site and its functions when they don't even pay towards its upkeep๐Ÿ˜ 

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info