• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Deans Marine LST 388
    by Nerys ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ( Commodore)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    72 Posts 71 Replies 22 Photos 227 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ Deans Marine LST 388
    Flag
    Online: 10 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    My pleasure Nerys๐Ÿ˜Š
    I'm sure that sight of the kit will give you itchy fingers and an urge to get going Nerys๐Ÿ˜‰
    Concentrating on something like that, even just checking out the kit to make sure all the bits n pieces are there, usually bucks me up and gets me going again๐Ÿ‘
    We'll all be rootin' for ya!
    Will be a real pleasure to contribute what I can, Water-slide or Vinyl numbers for instance๐Ÿ˜Š
    I can 'do wood' to a certain extent, e.g. my Sea Scout and Billing Boats Gina 2 restorations, even my 1/72 destroyer was originally built all balsa. Copied the hull construction technique from Dad's Sea Scout (the one I recently renovated) so I probably have the only hard chine destroyer in the universe! ๐Ÿ˜ Well, waddid I know at 15?๐Ÿ˜œ
    But I will never be able to compete with the likes of Rob, Graham, Joe and yourself when it comes to taming wood! Exquisite work!๐Ÿ‘
    Best I could manage from scratch was carving the four 2cm slabs of wood in the Krick U25 kit into a passable Type 1A U-boat hull, with some help from the Deutsches Museum here in Munich. Result shown in the attached pic, with it's contemporary HMS Hotspur. Both 1/72.
    Most of my stash is for Plastic Magic RC conversions. Then I know what I'm about๐Ÿ˜
    Cofion gorau, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Young at heart ๐Ÿ˜‰ Slightly older in other places.;-/ Cheers Doug
    Nerys
    Commodore
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Doug, thank you so much for all the help and information you gave me in your last two posts. I'll have to buy some adhesive, don't have everything to hand and I'll certainly take you up on the decals. The fact that it is not all plastic cheers me up. I built a dutch coaster a while ago (see harbour) and I disliked working with the plastic so much that I substituted a lot of wood. I use a Stanley slimknife quite a lot as well the normal Stanley knife, so have blades for both. I expect I'll order the kit in a day or twos time, but I must admit I'm not feeling too good at the moment and I may not start the build just yet unless seeing it there, waiting, may inspire me and buck me up a bit, something needs to!

All the best, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Belay that with the decal Nerys!
    The RN hull numbers were totally different๐Ÿค”
    As seen in the pic I posted, from unloading in Anzio when your dad was in command.
    So, if possible scan from plan in the kit the section of the bow where the number is to go, and measure the distance between the plating where it was applied.
    So I can estimate the size of the white disc and the numbers.
    Cheers, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    G'night All, sleep tight๐Ÿ’ค๐Ÿ’ค๐Ÿ’ค - don't let the bed bugs bite๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ฎ
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Nerys,
    The kit is not quite all plastic, at least not in the 'Airfix' sense of plastic!
    Extract from the Deans kit description (with spelling correction๐Ÿ™„)-
    " Details of the kit scale 1/100 L 1.03m beam 160mm The fibreglass hull in this kit is with full rubbing strip detail. Computer generated LASER CUT 1.5mm H I Ps plastic forms the main tank deck and basic superstructure A complete set of fittings are included in the kit with all detail parts such as weapons, deck fittings, etc, cast in light alloy and resin "

So the constituents of the kit are as usual and the comments I posted re my Manxman kit will apply. I'm certain there will be some wooden parts to stiffen the hull and support the decks, as in the pics from my Manxman. Even the 1.5mm printed plastic decks are usually mounted on top of a ply support deck. See my pics. Otherwise the PS deck would sag๐Ÿ˜ 

Have a look at my list of glues used and see if you have them all.
    In particular the thin liquid PS cement with a brush is extremely useful for gluing long edges in the superstructure parts. It takes tooo long wiv da toob stuff๐Ÿค”
    Contacta Professional is the one with the long thin metal snoot!
    Great for spot gluing tiddly-widdly parts on a Revell or Airfix kit but not much use for a Deans kit.
    The Contacta Liquid Special, in a glass bottle with a brush attached to the cap, is much better,
    quicker to apply so the glue at the start isn't going off ๐Ÿ˜ฎ before you get to the end of a long part. ๐Ÿ˜ญ Even on Airfix, Revell, Trumpeter and co I use the brush when gluing the long hull seams.

PVA you won't need, but a good two part epoxy is a must! As described below/above?
    (You never know in which order the site will display some threads, depending on which part of the forum they are in!๐Ÿค”)
    CA is OK for 'tacking' parts together for a trial fit, but follow up with the PS cement for strength.
    So, with addition of some Revell Contacta Liquid Special (or Humbrol equivalent) and some Revell Plastic Putty, for filling/smoothing joints in the superstructure parts as necessary, you'll be Good to Go! As our ex colonial brothers would say๐Ÿ˜
    Another tip! Unless Deans have improved the printed PS superstructure parts sheets, so that you can press the parts out, get a good stock of sturdy scalpels or preferably Stanley type blades in. You're gonna need 'em. Mind yer fingas!!

BTW: If you want to change the pennant number from USS 388 to just 368, as your father's ship was, I can help.
    Send me the height and length of the 388 number block, or even better with a scan of the decal itself, then I can make you some with the correct number and font type.
    Least I can do. I still owe ya one for the Port & Starboard socks!๐Ÿ˜Š
    Alles gute, Doug ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Rookysailor
    Captain
    Flag
    Online: 12 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Having bought several Deans kits, and not one from Ron himself, wait till they come up on Ebay and the like, in the instructions of all his kits, he mentions which adhesive is best for the job, not brand names, just glue, and going off your list Nerys, it appears you have most of them, all my Deans kits have been built with, 2 part epoxy resin, Titebond II, CA glue and P38 car body filler, and maybe Revell conta plastic cement for the plasticard S/S, you don't need nuffing else๐Ÿ˜Š

Cheers, Pete
    Nerys
    Commodore
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Doug,

Just checked our adhesives and we have, Revell Contacta Professional, Bond Together two part epoxy, ordinary superglue and Titebond pva which I use on my wooden boats. Would you suggest I supplement those in any way before venturing forth into LST construction? which is all plastic.

cheers, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    Newby7
    Sub-Lieutenant
    Flag
    Online: 1 hour ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Well done Colin.Right a desk is not for everyone and nothing wrong with hands on.
    Rick
    Nerys
    Commodore
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Many congratulations Colin. Well deserved promotion.

All the best, Nerys
    Scratchbuilder
    Midshipman
    Flag
    Online: 6 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Congratulations Colin.
    Regards Bill
    Bill
    Colin H
    Commodore
    Flag
    Online: 36 minutes ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Gee wiz ,how did that happen, trouble with seniority, they try sticking you behind a desk, now me I'm a hands on kind of guy.(well I try).
    At least when I was a working prototype engineer nobody told me what to do, they usually just gave me sketches and ideas, and if I was extremely lucky I got actual working drawings. When they promoted me to office duty I really hated.
    Cheers Colin.
    Fair winds and calm waters, COLIN.
    Show 62 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info