• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!

Login to Remove Ads
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    3D printing
    by mturpin013 ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ( Vice Admiral)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    16 Posts 15 Replies 11 Photos 19 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Northernflotsam
    Master Seaman
    ๐Ÿ“ 3D printing
    Flag
    Online: 2 months ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Not sure yet a but probaly spinup between a Anycubic Mono X or the Elegoo Saturn S...
    bigger print area and 4k would work ok for me, I was unsure holdng out for the bigger build plate compared to the cheaper 4k (small screen) but when looking at some of my models I decided the larger one would work better for Me..
    Rookysailor
    Commodore
    ๐Ÿ“ 3D printing
    Flag
    Online: 1 hour ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Some good information there, would like to know what 3D resin printer are you thinking of buying.

Cheers, Pete๐Ÿ˜Š
    Northernflotsam
    Master Seaman
    ๐Ÿ“ 3D printing
    Flag
    Online: 2 months ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I use creality CR10... cura for slicing.. been running that for over 3 years, had 2 new all metal hot ends and new roller bearings.. updated it to MARLIN ! printed a better fan mount > and thats about it.. no other issues ever.. prints PLA and PetG . Getting myself a resin printer soon for fine detail stuff..
    I.ve also been using Fusion360 for design and modeling.. (free home user) and that been a breeze to use, now I even do the parts for my small CNC router on it.
    BOATSHED
    Sub-Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ“ 3D printing
    Flag
    Online: 12 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi AlanN, I have just downloaded a picture of the part I just wrote about. This is the same part I am on about but from a different person, and this is a much better 3D printed part to what I bought off of Ebay. I still find this piece as a cheap and nasty looking item and for ยฃ12.00 + postage I think it is not cost worthy.
    BOATSHED
    BOATSHED
    Sub-Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ“ 3D printing
    Flag
    Online: 12 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi AlanN, Don't get me wrong, I'm not picking faults with your 3D printing. I bought a part for my BSA Scorpinn PCP Air Rifle. All it was, was a piece to go into where the gun magazine went to basicly block up the space where the mag went whilst not being used.
    I ended up dumping it in the dustbin as it looked aweful. It looked like someone had just stuck slices of plastic together and all around the edges was lines. I have saved a couple of your pictures and tried to blow them up to see how they look but they blur when I do this.
    I am asuming that your 3D printed parts are much better than I have seen made by other people. There are other 3D printed things on Ebay I have also seen that look realy cheap.
    Is this due to poor software or just lack of experience or a cheap 3D printer.
    As I say I am NOT picking fault at your parts, if they were bad then you obviusly wouldn't put them on your model boats.๐Ÿ‘
    BOATSHED
    Mike Stoney
    Warrant Officer
    ๐Ÿ“ 3D printing
    Flag
    Online: 38 minutes ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hello AlanN,
    It's crazy what today's technology allows us to do! Will make me smart about this Creality resin printer.
    Isn't it possible to get software for this printer?
    In any case, your parts look pretty good! Top!
    regards Michel-Cl. (Mike)
    PS: There are too many Mike's, so I changed to my real name . .๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š
    if you don't ask, you won't get an answer!
    AlanN
    Recruit
    ๐Ÿ“ 3D printing
    Flag
    Online: 6 months ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I have moved to 3D Resin printing which enables me to get far greater detailed prints. The Creality Range of Resin Printers are great. I use 123D Design to create all my components and print at 1:32 scale.
    ronrees
    Master Seaman
    ๐Ÿ“ 3D printing
    Flag
    Online: 5 months ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Further to my previous item, since I wrote the article in the magazine I have had many chats with modellers who bought all sorts of different makes of printers. In my humble opinion I would only consider investing in a well known machine (Like the Creality Ender ones) because add-ons, upgrades and spares are readily available and you can see from You Tube etc just how many people all around the world are using that particular model.
    2 or 3 people I spoke to bought from HK and the like ,wierd triangular things which are now defunct because they did not work well and were ultimately discontinued or something similar. Plus they never had the spares when you needed them.
    Also only buy decent filament, a good printer should handle most types of plastic and have a good colour range. I use Cura as the slicing software, which is the most used, and play with Tinkercad to design my own parts.....just a bit more stuff to think about,...........good luck......RON
    Ron Rees
    ronrees
    Master Seaman
    ๐Ÿ“ 3D printing
    Flag
    Online: 5 months ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi, I read your question and the answers about 3D printing for model boat builders, I wrote an article about this subject in Model Boats Magazine, January 2016 when this building method was just getting started. I built 3 Prusa i3 printers back in those days and I sold them on as they were too unreliable at that time. They are still in operation however 6 years on and are batch printing smoke systems for modellers. Today, however there are some truly amazing machines on the market, reliable, cheap, rugged and easy to use. I bought an Ender 3 pro 2 years ago and found it to be very good indeed. They can now be had for about ยฃ145. so good value too.
    I have added a few upgrades, most of which were printed on the actual printer itself. It is a learning curve but well within the average modellers ability and so far my friend Chris and I have made hundreds of items on them with very few major problems. We have made outboards that work, figures, jet drives, motor mounts and everything up to 2- 30 inch working models. Thingiverse is a site worth looking at but there are many others. Lots of videos on You Tube, but keep in touch with 3D modellers if and when you can to share. Maybe we could start a section in this forum. Don't be put off by negativity, it is successful and great fun.......Good luck. RON.
    Ron Rees
    dave976
    Sub-Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ“ 3D printing
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I suggest you look at 3d printers on U-Tube. There are a few good comparisons of the types available and should enable you to select what best suits your needs. They can produce some good items but do need careful set up and are not for everyone. Just looking should give you a good understanding of what is involved and perhaps help you avoid some costly mistakes.
    dave 976
    Show 6 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info