• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!

Login to Remove Ads
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Veron Vosper 52 FPB Build Instructions and much help for a Novice
    by AndyK1 ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ( Able Seaman)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    14 Posts 13 Replies 18 Photos 38 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    AndyK1
    Able Seaman
    ๐Ÿ“ Veron Vosper 52 FPB Build Instructions and much help for a Novice
    Flag
    Online: 20 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    BTW folks I have been in contact with Colin Smith and he has been super helpful. As they say.... "Couldn't do it without him."
    AndyK1
    Able Seaman
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    As of now, I have an idea of where to go to get the built one re-energised. Thanks. The part built one looks like a major project that I may never find time to do. I know I am only 71 but who knows how long we have.
    tony29h
    Master Seaman
    Flag
    Online: 2 months ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Found this photograph in the 1979 Vic Smeed book 'Model Ships'. The text to accompany the photograph reads - "One of the bigger kits available is this 52" (1320mm) Vosper Fat Patrol Boat for 10cc engines produced by the British firm of Veron".
    kevinsharpe
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    Flag
    Online: 6 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi
    Further. The Futaba speed controller in the picture was one of the better quality ones for its day and could handle quite a bit of power so if it works should be fine with a brushed motor, but again the Hectoperm will not make the model come onto the plane either in 6V or 12 V format.
    Regards
    Kevin
    kevinsharpe
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    Flag
    Online: 6 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Andy
    This is a great model and iconic in the history of Veron. At 52" it makes a fine model when assembled. It is a scale model of Vosper's Trinity class patrol boat some pf which were supplied to the Malaysian Navy. I am currently refurbishing one. I don't know if you wish to construct scale detail as the size of the model provides scope for this. If you do then a well known model warship company- Fleetscale provide a detailed plan to work from but without construction details. The good part of the model is that the hull when built is very solid and was designed for a 10cc IC engine mounted centrally on the robust keel structure. The superstucture was not so robust and I have taken mine to pieces and re built with more strength and rigidity.

The Hectoperm motor is fine for a scale tug but will only supply enough torque to make the Vosper chug along and will never provide the thrust required to get the beast up onto the plane. To achieve this you will need a large single brushless motor mounted centrally or two medium brushless mounted either side of the keel powered by either Nickel \metal Hydride cells or Lithium Polymer Cells. You will require a brushless speed controller for your motor(s). I have installed two brushed motors - Graupner 900 Speed motors which sadly are now out of production. I have tested the hull and it does plane quite nicely. I have also installed 'Fleetscale' propeller shafts and rudders which are to scale.

It depends really on how much you want to spend. The good news is that radio control gear is now relatively cheap. As I have said the hull size gives you plenty of opportunity to fit the model out. If you were considering a twin motor set up then you will need to think about how they are mounted and not just mount them straight onto the hull skins, but create a mounting frame from the keel to get the right prop angle. Hope this helps and happy to answer any questions.

Regards
    Kevin
    Ron
    Rear Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 6 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I saw this in another website. Do not know if it is still accurate but it is worth a try.
    if you want to know about vernon kits

32 verwood cresent southbourne bournemouth dorset bh6 4je

His son, Colin, is continuing his dadโ€™s work and he apparently can be contacted at: The plans can still be obtained from Colin Smith (the son of Phil Smith who was Veron's designer, in case you didn't know).

Colin's email is:

csmithbmth@gmail.com

Limited boat plans available from Colin Smith, Bournemouth Tel: 07747722724,
    give him a ring he has lots of his fathers VERON plans(boats + planes)

Hope this information is correct.
    dave976
    Sub-Lieutenant
    Flag
    Online: 21 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Andy
    I acquired a built version of your model and will restore at some time. I attach pics of my model to help you with your build. I suggest you ditch all the radio gear and purchase a modern 2.4Ghz set when you commence the build. You will also need to decide on the propulsion, brushed or brushless which will determine the ESC required and also the type of battery. If you want high performance speeds then NimH or Lipo would be preferable to SLA batteries. This really is something you need to research and cost as you will need to buy the correct charging and balancing equipment. These models were popular in their day but the equipment available now is much better. Your prop and prop tube may need servicing and even replacing and the prop should be replaced at the same time. This will be much easier to achieve whilst you are restoring than later. Good luck with the build
    dave976
    mturpin013
    Vice Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 12 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Andy Steve has just about covered it, I did a quick google For "plans for Vernon vosper patrol boat", brought up some interesting results, you may be able to purchase a new copy of the plans, however I don't think its too difficult to work out how it goes together as the main body of the boat seems to be almost finished.
    I currently finishing a MTB for my grandson and if your not too fussy about being true to the real boat then a bit of builders licence is easy to build in by looking at pictures of other peoples builds
    good look and keep asking questions
    stevedownunder
    Commander
    Flag
    Online: 4 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Andy,
    I can see what you mean about the plans.
    The model looks nice.
    The Hectoperm motor is a very good quality motor, I cannot say if it would have enough power to push the model at a high rate of knots, but it would be worth trying.
    The speed controller belongs in a museum, personally I would replace it with something that will handle a bit more power, 10 amps is not that much in my opinion.
    There are probably other people who can identify the receiver, if it was me I would replace it and get a 2.4 g set, for me preferably with telemetry so battery voltage can be monitored.
    Looks like a bit of work to do on the part finished hull.

Cheers,
    Stephen.
    AndyK1
    Able Seaman
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Some Photos. The first one is the state of the build instructions.
    Show 4 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info