• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!

Login to Remove Ads
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Which One
    by neilmc ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ( Warrant Officer)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    22 Posts 21 Replies 7 Photos 43 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Len
    Leading Seaman
    ๐Ÿ“ Which One
    Flag
    Online: 4 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Thanks for the advice on the use of diodes
    neilmc
    Warrant Officer
    ๐Ÿ“ Which One
    Flag
    Online: 2 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Thanks all for the advice on lipos in parallel which has saved me money and the possibility of torching my boat.
    Iโ€™m going with the advice given a single battery with room for future expansion. This means I can crack on at the weekend.
    Learning so much more with each reply to my posts. One day I may have a boat in the water ๐Ÿค”
    pressonreguardless
    Lieutenant Commander
    ๐Ÿ“ Which One
    Flag
    Online: 4 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Yes, I would not wire Lipos in parallel. They will talk to each other.
    Trev
    dave976
    Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ“ Which One
    Flag
    Online: 6 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Neil
    I agree with the advice given by Graham, do not consider connecting LiPo batteries in parallel. I know there are people who will disagree but the dangers far outweigh the benefits. If you have two batteries far safer to use one and bring the boat in and swop with the other battery.
    dave976
    Graham93
    Rear Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ Which One
    Flag
    Online: 7 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Neil,

I would avoid connecting LiPo batteries in parallel if possible, especially if they are of different manufacture. There can be all sorts of issues related to different discharge rates, and current flowing from one battery to the other. The latter problem can be solved by fitting a pair of diodes between the battery outputs.

I think your best option is to go with the battery you have, but leave enough space in the build to install a larger battery later if you find it necessary.

Glad you like the blog. It can be difficult finding older blogs on this site.

Graham93
    DuncanP
    Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class
    ๐Ÿ“ Which One
    Flag
    Online: 38 minutes ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Glad you were able to view the video and that it has given you extra inspiration! Please get in touch if you want any more info and I will try to help. Cheers Duncan
    neilmc
    Warrant Officer
    ๐Ÿ“ Which One
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Graham,

Massive disappointment last night when I found the Turnigy UK warehouse has shutdown and now only based in Hong Kong. So even though I could get a 4500maH battery for 14.99 it was 26.99 for delivery......bummer!!
    So with Turnigy batteries from other suppliers being a little more expensive thought about the option of installing a second battery as suggested by Presson. As thinking two 2200mAh in parallel would give same voltage of 11.1v but longer runtime, but no sure on mixing battery manufacturer types?
    So still thinking to go with the battery I have and start getting on with the build as with colder months coming spray painting could be a pain.
    Liking your blog and really confused why I have not seen it before, as I have trawled the whole webpage over the last couple of weeks๐Ÿ˜
    Learning so much more with each reply to my posts. One day I may have a boat in the water ๐Ÿค”
    neilmc
    Warrant Officer
    ๐Ÿ“ Which One
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Duncan

Managed to get the file to download in the way you suggest and loving what I see.... looks really good on the water and has given me some more inspiration to crack on.
    I don't think my TX has the ability to be throttled back but to be fair only used it in the shed so time will tell when it eventually goes on the water.
    Cheers Neil
    Graham93
    Rear Admiral
    ๐Ÿ“ Which One
    Flag
    Online: 7 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Neil,

The battery is a Zippy which I probably sourced from HobbyKing. It's a 3S 11.1v 4500mAh and it fits transversely in the rear cabin.

There are a few reasons for the relatively short run time. I packed so many extras into the hull ( working lights, monitors, exhaust smoke, etc) that it is heavy, and they consume more power. Also I tend to drive at full speed most of the time!๐Ÿ˜‚

My blog showing all the extras is here: https://model-boats.com/blogs/60819
    blogs/60819
    ๐Ÿ”—
    DuncanP
    Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class
    ๐Ÿ“ Which One
    Flag
    Online: 38 minutes ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Yet another text!! I've just downloaded the file on my phone. Then went to my downloaded folder and from here it played OK. When trying to play the downloaded file from within model boats website I just got a black screen! Hope this helps. Please let me know. Cheers Duncan
    Show 12 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info