• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Nostalgia
    by redpmg πŸ‡ΏπŸ‡¦ ( Captain)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    80 Posts 79 Replies 46 Photos 175 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Nerys
    Vice Admiral
    πŸ“ Nostalgia
    Flag
    Online: 2 seconds ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I remember going to look at Bassett Lowkes shop on a visit to London during the war. I was very much into scale model aircraft building jn those days. There were two model shops in Cardiff and I visited them most weeks. An aeroplane kit would consist of a number of squared off blocks of wood that one had to carve and sandpaper to shape then glue together and hope it resembled the plane it was supposed to be. There would also be wheels, a 'plastic' cockpit cover and some water slide transfers of the insignia. I also made model ships, but used scrap wood from the local timberyard for those.

Cheers, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    Ianh
    Midshipman
    πŸ“ Nostalgia
    Flag
    Online: 6 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I remember Beatties but then I am old enough to remember Bassett Lowke!
    Like you Red in SA we don't get anything for a Rand anymore!
    Only old in years not mind or soul.
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ Nostalgia
    Flag
    Online: 4 seconds ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    "this might be the origin of the Lesro Rescue RIB..........That itself is now extinct of course"
    It WAS Red, until Sy did his Jurassic Park magic on it and revived it!😊
    Cheers, Doug 😎
    Young at heart πŸ˜‰ Slightly older in other places.;-/ Cheers Doug
    redpmg
    Captain
    πŸ“ Nostalgia
    Flag
    Online: 9 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    And another one which might be of interest - believe this might be the origin of the Lesro Rescue RIB.......................That itself is now extinct of course..............
    redpmg
    Captain
    πŸ“ Nostalgia
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    An ad for a steam set from 1979 - love the price - could afford one or two of those !
    redpmg
    Captain
    πŸ“ Nostalgia
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Posted this on a build blog but of interest here - check the price of the one board - its in SA Rand not GBP at a time when the Rand was worth half a GBP and US $ was worth 3 Rand ......... Round about 10 times the price now ! Both of these firms went out of existence many years ago ! . Anyone else still got Balsa etc this old ?
    Ianh
    Midshipman
    πŸ“ Nostalgia
    Flag
    Online: 6 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    My first R/C aircraft came from that book. My Father built the Single Channel R/C Unit with a rubber band driven Escapement 1 blip one way 2 blips the other.
    Only old in years not mind or soul.
    Joe727
    Commander
    πŸ“ Nostalgia
    Flag
    Online: 1 day ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Ianh,
    Thank you for posting that great book/catalog in pdf. I really enjoyed looking through it and was amazed at how much vintage building tips there are. Saw some reference to Jetex models and I remember having a Jetex engine in the late 50's. It had solid fuel pellets and lit with a fuse. It really worked well and we were building rockets with it!

Liked the hovercraft too!
    Joe😊
    Rookysailor
    Captain
    πŸ“ Nostalgia
    Flag
    Online: 8 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Wow, JB, even nicer in real life, will check Sarik for the plan, Ta very much.😊

Cheers, Pete
    jbkiwi
    Vice Admiral
    πŸ“ Nostalgia
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Pete, I think its an early nod to a Bates Starcraft. Not a bad looking boat at all (a full sized Bates would get a few looks in NZ I'm sure,- NZ and Aust boats are quite different to Northern boats) I need to do a bit more to mine at some stage, - chine strakes, safety rails, lift up cabin top access flaps etc. I've added quite a bit to mine as it was very basic (and rotten) as received. My boat came from a farm rubbish bin so I have no idea when or where it was originally made, (very old either way)

Took me a few years to find out what it was, (eventually from memory from a vintage model boats company, -very helpful chap there).
    Plan is apparently still available from Sarik Hobbies (X list plans -MM709) 13GBP) I actually thought of buying a plan and scaling it up to 40" and copying a Bates as there are lots of photos available to go off for detail. It would make a lovely model I think, if it came out like the pic.
    JB
    Show 70 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info