• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Nostalgia
    by redpmg πŸ‡ΏπŸ‡¦ ( Commander)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    74 Posts 73 Replies 43 Photos 167 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Ianh
    Warrant Officer
    πŸ“ Nostalgia
    Flag
    Online: 1 hour ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    My first R/C aircraft came from that book. My Father built the Single Channel R/C Unit with a rubber band driven Escapement 1 blip one way 2 blips the other.
    Only old in years not mind or soul.
    Joe727
    Lieutenant Commander
    πŸ“ Nostalgia
    Flag
    Online: 13 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Ianh,
    Thank you for posting that great book/catalog in pdf. I really enjoyed looking through it and was amazed at how much vintage building tips there are. Saw some reference to Jetex models and I remember having a Jetex engine in the late 50's. It had solid fuel pellets and lit with a fuse. It really worked well and we were building rockets with it!

Liked the hovercraft too!
    Joe😊
    Rookysailor
    Captain
    πŸ“ Nostalgia
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Wow, JB, even nicer in real life, will check Sarik for the plan, Ta very much.😊

Cheers, Pete
    jbkiwi
    Vice Admiral
    πŸ“ Nostalgia
    Flag
    Online: 3 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Pete, I think its an early nod to a Bates Starcraft. Not a bad looking boat at all (a full sized Bates would get a few looks in NZ I'm sure,- NZ and Aust boats are quite different to Northern boats) I need to do a bit more to mine at some stage, - chine strakes, safety rails, lift up cabin top access flaps etc. I've added quite a bit to mine as it was very basic (and rotten) as received. My boat came from a farm rubbish bin so I have no idea when or where it was originally made, (very old either way)

Took me a few years to find out what it was, (eventually from memory from a vintage model boats company, -very helpful chap there).
    Plan is apparently still available from Sarik Hobbies (X list plans -MM709) 13GBP) I actually thought of buying a plan and scaling it up to 40" and copying a Bates as there are lots of photos available to go off for detail. It would make a lovely model I think, if it came out like the pic.
    JB
    Rookysailor
    Captain
    πŸ“ Nostalgia
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    What beautiful lines she has got JBπŸ‘, wouldn't mind building one myself.😊

Cheers, Pete
    Ianh
    Warrant Officer
    πŸ“ Nostalgia
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Sure is good
    I am busyrefitting an aerokits Sea Commander. Building a Sea Queen Kit via Jotika and in a box a 46" Crash Tender Kit supplied by Vintage Model Works
    These are all wood kits So back to basicsπŸ‘πŸ‘
    jbkiwi
    Vice Admiral
    πŸ“ Nostalgia
    Flag
    Online: 3 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    RE - Here's Something to take you guys back when MAP existed
    Hi Ian, nice find,-takes you back to the days when you could get plans for almost any machine/plane/boat made. Today just same boring plastic/foam rubbish,-very little choice in boats or planes. I have the MM 'Fairacre II' (p132) which I rescued a few years ago and restored. Just as good as anything new and probably built in the 60s.
    JB
    BOATSHED
    Midshipman
    πŸ“ Nostalgia
    Flag
    Online: 13 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I used to live just up the road from Greenwich Maritime Models. Spent loads in there. He was a very helpful man. Most of what he sold was not to my taste but he would always order in what I wanted. That was the same as Avicraft in Bromley. They were mainly plane but done some boat stuff but Bunny the owner or his sons would also get special orders in. I was and still am into Vosper style hulls or the fast boats and the old Aerokits. I just seem to want to get faster. I'm not into sail or scale but it's each to our own and I would never knock anyone for what they like. But I do like to see what others make.The brushless motors are well on par with nitro and possibly even faster.
    BOATSHED
    ianed57
    Midshipman
    πŸ“ Nostalgia
    Flag
    Online: 4 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Tony very kindly sent me scans of the article about Sirius Star from July 1954 and the boat was used successfully by Max Coote in competitions, was used by him as a floating test bench for most of his equipment- and has Ripmax emblazoned across the transom. The design was based on a Thames cruiser built by W. Bates and Son at Chertsey. The article mentions that it is suitable for miniaturised radio and thus 7lbs of gear can be carried!

Apparently the offering on ebay comes with an original drawing.

PS I was born in Camden Town two years after the shop opened- I don't remember it!

Ian
    Ianh
    Warrant Officer
    πŸ“ Nostalgia
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Exactly the same!
    Started in 1949 in Camden Town (Before I was born)😊😊
    Show 64 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info