• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Caldercraft vs Deans
    by Cashrc πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ ( Lieutenant Commander)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    20 Posts 19 Replies 0 Photos 41 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    tim morland
    Leading Seaman
    πŸ“ Caldercraft vs Deans
    Flag
    Online: 1 day ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    This isn't a bash at Caldercraft or Dean's, but there are obviously bad boats from different manufacturers out there. has anyone ever read a bad review in the modelling press? I know that advertising is part of a magazines bread and butter and they must keep manufacturers sweet, but reviewers must have been sent "duff stuff" occasionally.

By the way RNinMunich, I am puzzled by what you have in your hand.πŸ€”
    Stay safe
    Tim
    ads90
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    Online: 8 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Caldercraft are my favourite kit build but agree about the drawings and instructions. However, I always investigate my builds first on the web to see if there are any drawings or photos of the real ship and also look at other's builds to get an idea on what you are up against. A small amount of time spent at the beginning in planning saves time in the end. The metal fittings are generally good and now seem to be sending out kits with brass stanchions rather than soft metal which is much better although the piano wire they include can be a pig to work with but getting used to that now. I think all FG hulls have issues by their very nature but Caldercraft are generally robust but might need warming to shape the top edge better.
    Gaggsy
    Recruit
    Flag
    Online: 2 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I have built both makes. Deans Hms Solebay is a fine looking model but the fittings very poor. they agreed to replace them but new ones worse than originals.Hull flimsy & needed F/g to build up. Also had hard words from their staff. Caldercraft Resolve: Hull twisted but replaced although into the build found it also not correctly sized. Fittings generally good. Instructions and parts numbering a confusing but this seems to par for the course. Found John very helpful and quick in sending any parts. A very nice model. Result: will probably not use Deans but may try Caldercraft again
    Cashrc
    Lieutenant Commander
    Flag
    Online: 4 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I use sanding sealer, primer, and judicious amounts of paint. When I built my Mini Jupiter I used finishing epoxy inside to keep her from getting waterlogged.
    I’m thinking about laying a store of old fashioned model airplane dope. It seals well, and is very sandable. There’s several references to making your own sanding sealer with a mixture of thinned dope and either balsa sawdust or talcum powder. Anyway, a place here in the US keeps dope in stock, as their primary customers are control line modelers. The company name is Brodak.
    Cash
    Roadster700
    Recruit
    Flag
    Online: 9 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I can't comment on Deans Models as I've never built one. But I dare say I will one day. I've always enjoyed Kit Bashing, as you can normally build your pride and joy quicker than by scratch building.
    My only negative comment about any of the kit companys is I wish they wouldn't produce White Metal fittings as I prefer to limit the weight above the water line. I would prefere resin fittings. Another thing I'm not really kean on is using wood bits in a boat. I stopped using wood in my models some time ago, after a much loved model sank after wash from another boat drowned it. By the time I got it back, all the wood had swelled up, and caused the joints to fail. If I do end up using wood, I prime it well with sanding sealer these days.
    ads90
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thank you for your apology regarding Sir Kay and as you hint, many of us competent modeller are pleased with the amount of detail in the Caldercraft kit. Of late they have replaced the stanchions with brass and they now include piano wire which is a bit of a pain to use but with care and making formers first works well and is not flimsy like brass wire. As for the Aberdeen drawings they have the labelled Sir Kay wrongly inasmuch as Sir Kay is shown with paravanes - it was an acoustic minesweeper. If you look at the correct drawing which is wrongly named even that has differences to the actual ship in the only photograph I have mamaged to secure so the ship developed between the original plan signed off by the MOD and the finished article, I.e. the drawing is not an as built so to speak.
    Some of us seek perfection but others build a boat that is realistic and one that can be used regularly on the water so also needs to be robust. As for Caldercraft drawings and instructions they are certainly frustrating at times but you can scale them using a bit of experience and I would not say that they are really good for new modellers but you have to start somewhere.
    Alan
    tim morland
    Leading Seaman
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Sorry I used the wrong word in my description of Sir Kay. I shouldn't have said generic. It is obviously a Round Table Class minesweeper. What I was trying to say was that it forms the basis of a good model that many people would be happy with, however the more critical of those amongst us would want to change a few things.
    Once again sorry I didn't intend to mislead anyone and the opinions are mine and mine only.
    Best wishes to all and stay safe Tim.
    tim morland
    Leading Seaman
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Several years ago I bought some resin, white metal and vac formed fittings from Deans. When they arrived, the resin ones were soft, the texture was similar to that of a Haribo sweet. Not only that but many of the fittings were deformed, The cable reels were oval. The vac formed boats were ok but the vac formed superstructure parts were horrendous. As Brian King once said, "they looked like sucked boiled sweets", nothing was straight. I phoned up and asked for my money back. I was told that I couldn't have it as the fittings were a special order. When I insisted that the fittings were not fit for purpose and I wanted my money back the discussion quickly turned into a heated argument and eventually I was sworn at. I couldn't speak to Ron Dean as he was away at a toy exhibition, I think it was Nuremberg or somewhere else in Germany. When he returned I phoned him and told him what had happened. He said that his workers were professional and he couldn't believe they would do that. Basically calling me a liar. I have refused to buy anything from his company since then. I had spent about Β£150.00 on fittings and felt that I deserved more respect. Not all the fittings were bad. The white metal ones were ok. The rest I put in a box to remind me of the money that I had thrown away.
    Several years ago I bought a Caldercraft "Sir Kay", whilst it makes into a nice model, I would say that it is a generic minesweeper rather than an accurate scale model. It would be accurate for most people. The plans that you get are not to the same scale as the model so it is not possible to accurately measure lengths or dimensions and a certain amount of guesswork is involved. The original plans for this boat are on the Aberdeen built ships website so it is possible to see where things are not the same. The wheel house on the model has a hexagonal front whereas on the real ship it had a flat front. Most of the fittings are white metal which is nice but make the boat rather top heavy. All the railings are rather fat white metal which I didn't like so have replaced with thinner brass ones. I appreciate that in order to make a working model corners have to be cut and adaptations have to be made.
    Personally I wouldn't touch a Dean's but perhaps things have improved since I bought my stuff. I know it's difficult but if possible look what's in the box and inspect the quality of the stuff.
    Cashrc
    Lieutenant Commander
    Flag
    Online: 4 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I’m still torn. I like what I’ve heard about Caldercraft kits, but man, Deans has such a large range of boats. I understand the criticisms of the Deans kits, having waded thru the PBR, and given the partially built Wacht Am Rhein a good look over. However, I’ve learned from the Graupner Taucher Wulf and the Deans Pibber that the instructions are simply guidelines, and as long as I have pics and a 3 view I can figure it out. I looked at Mount Fleet models too. At first I thought they were a little pricey, but they seem roughly in line with Caldercraft, as far as prices go.
    Cash
    Nerys
    Vice Admiral
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    My opinion is that the service charge and high delivery costs are primarily designed to boost their profits.

Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    Show 10 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info