I had already started the build
and had got to hull frame almost complete before I decided to open the blog. I had expected that the construction would be similar to the old Aerokits boats that I used to make in the 60's, but Kitshack have cleverly added some labour saving changes in their design.
The main chine
, deck and keel stiffeners are made of 6mm balsa. These are made in sections which are preprinted on balsa sheet and you cut out yourself using a craft knife. The sections then slip into the slots which are precut in the bulkheads
and you can sand perfectly to the angle of the side and hull bottom. This is so much easier than trying to heat bent hardwood chine
stringers and then all the effort of planing and sanding
to profile. The photo shows where I have got to so far, and how the stringers fit and sand. The transom is also made in balsa and as its on a slight incline, is again aesy to sand lightly to profile.
As the photo shows, all the main plywood
is 1.5mm, 3mm and 6mm and preformed to shape.
I have used standard PVA waterproof
glue, and when the next step of fitting the skins is done soon, I will run a resin
layer around all the bulkeads and skins to give a strong seal.