• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!

Login to Remove Ads
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    36 inch Thames Police Launch.
    by Nickthesteam ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ( Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    18 Posts 17 Replies 27 Photos 44 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Nickthesteam
    Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class
    ๐Ÿ“ 36 inch Thames Police Launch.
    Flag
    Online: 11 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Evening folks, I have done a few hours today, the modified 5mm ply keel has been made and the shaft threaded. The photos show the basic layout,(see drawing earlier in the thread). I can now finalise the position of the outer bearing bracket and crack on making that. I aim to make a brass lower bearing for the rudder from the length of 3/8" square brass shown in the photo, I will machine the width to 5/16" then run a 5mm slot up the center of the bar so there will be a decent length running forward to reinforce the rather narrow ply. The shaft support/bearing will be silver soldered to the brass keel reinforcement and with luck I will end up with a nice strong structure. Once I have finished the cylinder boring job that is occupying the mill I will set to with the keel piece and shaft support. I hope the above notes are understandable, all will be revealed soon..
    If it don't fit, use a hammer to make it fit....
    Nickthesteam
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    A little progress has been made! I haven't started properly yet due to lack of space, there is no room in my workshop for a boat this size. I have now created a workspace in an unused airing cupboard so battle can commence. I will attend to the rest of the brass fabrication work once the basic hull shape is formed as I need the whole drivetrain in place to be able to take accurate measurements. I have an Mtronics Hydra 30 1000kv motor and esc and will be using a 40mm 3 blade prop. This evening I got the box structure cut out, assembly tomorrow. Job should move along now I have a work area.. First photo shows my workshop, absolutely no room! The second and third show the converted airing cupboard and the 4th, Let battle commence!
    Nickthesteam
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Thanks, it will be getting a few coats of paint...
    mturpin013
    Vice Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 12 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    That's a nice piece of brass work, its a pity that these nice polished brass bits are underwater.
    robbob
    Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 3 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Nick.
    Good to see that you are making a start especially after a bout of illnesses!
    You can bet you'll find your roll of soft iron wire while you're looking for something else. Such is the 'Law of Sod' ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Rob.
    "Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana"
    Nickthesteam
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I have finally managed to make a start! I have had nearly 8 weeks of sickness, a bout of prostate trouble followed by a heavy chest infection topped off with a dose of covid. Better now except for the lingering post covid cough.
    Anyway, first job, the rudder, fabricated from 1/16" brass sheet and 5/32 brass rod. Once cut out, the two slots were milled 2mm from the edge, leaving enough space for a good strong joint. Next a 1/16" slot the length of the rudder blank was milled into the 5/32" rod, due to my goggy eyesight it is slightly off center but not enough to make any difference. I can't silver solder them together yet as I need some soft iron wire to bind them together whilst being soldered. For those that didn't know silver solder will not bond to soft iron wire. I have a roll somewhere but can't find it, so Amazon to the rescue!
    Nickthesteam
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Thanks Rob. As far as shaft angle goes, nothing will be set in stone until all is assembled and lined up. I am going to use the 1000 kv brushless set up from Mtronics which uses an outrunner motor which I think are a bit shorter than brushed/ inrunners so hoping ai will all sit naturally before gluing.....
    robbob
    Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 3 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Nick.
    I really like the what you're doing with the keel/prop redesign, it will look really good and should work just fine.
    You may find that reducing the propshaft angle will mean you have to move the motor location further into the cabin very slightly but that's of little consequence.
    Rob.
    "Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana"
    Nickthesteam
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I have some bronze bar for the bearing and 2mm brass sheet for the supports and rudder so it won't be a problem. The 3D printed one was for 'doing the sums' with....
    dave976
    Lieutenant
    Flag
    Online: 15 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Nickthesteam
    Should be a simple job to fabricate from some brass tube and sheet, silver soldered together.
    dave976
    Show 8 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info