• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Billings - Dragen - Dragon
    by Ron ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ ( Captain)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    20 Posts 19 Replies 23 Photos 23 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Ron
    Captain
    ๐Ÿ“ Billings - Dragen - Dragon
    Flag
    Online: 2 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I just ordered these sails and the mast kits to go with it.

https://www.tmrcboatyard.com/product/jos881509-sail-set-a/

https://www.tmrcboatyard.com/product/jos881531-rig-assembly-a-no-sails/
    https://www.tmrcboatyard.com/product/jos881509-sail-set-a/
    ๐Ÿ”—
    https://www.tmrcboatyard.com/product/jos881531-rig-assembly-a-no-sails/
    ๐Ÿ”—
    Ron
    Captain
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    The instructions said to glue the deck on before planking the hull...If you are considering building this kit or any other which says to attach deck before planking...Do Not! If, I had followed the instructions, Iโ€™d have lost the placement for clamps. Use your experience and best modelling experience.
    TonyAsh
    Master Seaman
    Flag
    Online: 8 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Ron,
    It's good to see interest being shown in the Dragon yacht. I'm currently building from a nexus plan a 1/10th scale which according to the notes was 'designed' by A E Palmer with permission from Camper & Nicholson's plans of the Bluebottle which they built, and as you know was sailed by Prince Philip. I'm currently planking the hull, when that's completed i'll do a water test and check out the waterline is approximately where it should be. After that I'll post my progress with pictures. As previously mentioned I'm building it with a 'drop lead keel' in order to get the centre of buoyancy lower than where the plan advises it, so it can carry full sail, and in my case wanting to rig it with a genoa jib, so the scale sail area will be at max.
    Tony A....
    Tony A.....
    Nerys
    Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 24 seconds ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Roy,

Pleased that you should mention the Dragon Bluebottle. She was a wedding present to the Queen and D of E from the Island Sailing Club of Cowes. She was seriously campaigned by her professional crew, with the Duke frequently joining them She became a bit of an ambassador for the class periodically joining Dragon fleets in various parts of the country , to 'show the flag'. We had one of the biggest fleets of Dragons in the country at Medway Yacht Club and Bluebottle joined us for a few weeks in, I would think 1954/55. We very much appreciated the honour of her presence despite the fact that the Duke was not on her. I raced against her in Hai Lung for those few weeks. She is still very much in existence and is moored on the pontoon of the National Maritime Museum in Falmouth and is regularly sailed around Falmouth Bay.

Cheers, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    Nerys
    Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 24 seconds ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Ron,
    Personally, I think it is a very good idea to use the mast and sails from a Dragonforse or similar model if it looks near enough to what the original should be. I think the Dragonforce mainsail may have a slightly higher aspect ratio than a Dragon, bit I cannot see it matters and saves a lot of work. I've used the keels and fins from RTR model yachts on other models , even sailing barges, who cares as long as it works well.

Cheers, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    Ron
    Captain
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I used the old Dragonforce95 mast and sail for a sailboat I made last year. It worked very well.

This kit contained no mast, just the fittings. What mast material (wood) would you recommend?

I might just use the Dragonforce 95 on this sailboat too, they are interchangeable.
    Ron
    Captain
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I have now started a Building Blog as of yesterday. To answer your question, yes I plan to sail it. As on my previous open cockpit sailboat, it will have a clear plastic cover over the cockpit to keep water out.

Your comments and information is interesting, I would like to hear more, especially the various types of sails.

I have done no research, which is not common for me.
    roycv
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    Flag
    Online: 22 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Ron and Tony, are your Dragen yachts static or for sailing?

Over 20 years ago now I was asked to build a Dragon Class yacht by Int. Mar. Modelling but using a ready made glass fibre hull about to be marketted. It was with a view to have a sailing model.

Don't get excited, when I received it the hull was very heavy with the hull about 5mms thick. I had an Inga IV hull at the time and it was 50% heavier than the much bigger Inga IV..

It was too heavy to have a lead keel and float any where near the waterline. I did give them feedback but no response, the model yacht was never built (by agreement) but I had done a lot of research including a visit to builders in Essex.

Most Dragons are open cockpit however there are a few non-racing ones with a closed in one. As you will know they are a Norwegion design from 1929 and were used in the Olympics as a class from 1948 until 1972.

Always regarded as a handsome design that has stood the test of time. Sarik carry a plan called Bluebottle which was the Dragon Class yacht which was presented to the D of Edinburough. The plans were in Model Maker many years ago together with a write up on building.

These plans show several sail plans and for a sailing model I would suggest the smallest set of sails as best.

I later had experience with a metre long sailing model of the UK Americas Cup Endeavour our 1934 entry. This was grossly over canvassed and benefits from cutting back the sails.

Sailing boats can look very nice heeled over but the most efficient way to sail is to be as upright as possible.

Regards

Roy
    Ron
    Captain
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Probably should move this to a building blog.
    roycv
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    Flag
    Online: 22 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Sorry I may start a fishing boat one elsewhere.

I know they have Dragon boats wonder if they have Dragon fishing boats? ๐Ÿ˜‡

Exit left chased by a dragon. โšก๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Roy
    Show 10 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info