• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    LiPo batteries
    by MouldBuilder πŸ‡­πŸ‡Ί ( Rear Admiral)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    34 Posts 33 Replies 3 Photos 45 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Scratchbuilder
    Captain
    πŸ“ LiPo batteries
    Flag
    Online: 19 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Morning Peter.
    Interesting re your batteries after such a length of time,but glad that they seem in reasonable fettle.
    Here’s hoping they hold up ok.
    Re your battery alarm,what type do you use as I have not tried one previously.
    Regards Bill
    Never give up.It will come right in the end.
    Martin555
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ LiPo batteries
    Flag
    Online: 7 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Peter,
    Reading! whatever next 'Instructions'LOL!!

Martin555.
    If it looks right it probably is.
    MouldBuilder
    Rear Admiral
    πŸ“ LiPo batteries
    Flag
    Online: 2 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thanks for the article. Most of the content is regarding what the users should know before using them, but I found the section on how they actually work written in plain English very interesting.πŸ‘
    I cannot promise to finish one project before starting another. I know, I tried.
    dave976
    Warrant Officer
    πŸ“ LiPo batteries
    Flag
    Online: 6 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    For a really informative article on LiPo batteries that explains the technology and the correct use I recommend you look at
    https://3dinsider.com/lipo-lifespan/
    The technology is still relatively new to many hobbyists but is sufficiently different to our earlier types of SLA and NiMhs etc to warrant some helpful guidelines to explain the safest way to use LiPos.
    https://3dinsider.com/lipo-lifespan/
    πŸ”—
    MouldBuilder
    Rear Admiral
    πŸ“ LiPo batteries
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thanks JB. Very useful information. I have battery alarms which I do use every time. I will check to see at which voltage they trigger.
    Thanks.
    Peter.
    I cannot promise to finish one project before starting another. I know, I tried.
    jbkiwi
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ LiPo batteries
    Flag
    Online: 9 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Peter, As long as they were stored at a storage charge, they should still be in reasonable condition. I have batteries from 2011 which are still perfectly useable in my boats. Probably will depend on your Amp draw at full power, but at moderate throttle they should be ok.

A way of telling is, if the battery is fully charged, and you give the boat full power and you hear it 'flatten off' before full throttle, you will know they are getting down a bit. Doesn't mean you can't still use them, as long as they balance near enough after balance charging, (I also manually balance with a separate balancer as well after charging), just means you will just have to drive slower.

If you use a battery alarm (I set mine for 3.8v/cell), it will tell you if you are over drawing the available discharge capability of the battery (or a particular slightly weak cell). If the alarm goes off, just reduce the throttle till it stops, and you will probably find you can carry on for quite a while still. Just make sure they don't go below 3.5v/cell and they should last for years, but slowly reducing in available run time.

JB
    MouldBuilder
    Rear Admiral
    πŸ“ LiPo batteries
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    It is now two years later. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I have been unable to do anything with my batteries. I now live in Hungary and so should have more time for running my models.
    I have checked the charge levels and they are still very reasonable. The lowest cell voltage I found was 3.72 volts. I have charged a few to use and they charged really well. I will be using them in a model in the next few days so I will be able to report on whether their life has been affected.πŸ˜€

Peter.
    MouldBuilder
    Rear Admiral
    πŸ“ LiPo batteries
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    It is almost 9 months since I charged the new LiPo batteries for storage. Unfortunately I still have not used the 4s 4500 batteries since then but I do check them every 4 months to see how they are. They have been good so I have not had to do anything with them. I decided on this visit to replenish the storage charge on all of the batteries. I was shocked to find out that all of the batteries were almost perfect with only a few minutes of charging required, but the two 4s batteries, the oldest, did not take a charge at all. They are still very good. I will use them when I return here in August.
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ LiPo batteries
    Flag
    Online: 1 day ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Pete, welcome er Home?πŸ˜‰
    I'm not too surprised at your results with the new LiPos.
    That's exactly why it is recommended to put new LiPos through about min 6 max 10 charge / discharge cycles to 'condition' them, i.e. get 'em used to their working lifeπŸ˜‰

I'm not surprised at the short run times either. I seem to recall you have two hefty motors in your boat! Let's say (for simplicity) the motors draw 1.8A each. Therefore one motor would (theoretically!) run max 1 hour on a fully charged 1800mAh (1.8Ah) battery. Two such motors only half an hour etc etc.
    If (more realistically) they draw 10A together (probably more!) then they can theoretically run at that current for 0.18h or 10.8 minutes on a fully charged battery. QED.
    Theoretically cos you don't want to empty the battery and run it into 'Deep Discharge', i.e. less than MINIMUM 2.7V per cell. They don't like that and get stroppy; don't charge properly or worse 😲
    You get the drift! πŸ˜‰

If there's a danger of the river freezing over - you've got 4 months to build an Ice Breaker😁😁So get crackingπŸ˜‰
    Cheers, Doug 😎
    Young at heart πŸ˜‰ Slightly older in other places.;-/ Cheers Doug
    MouldBuilder
    Rear Admiral
    πŸ“ LiPo batteries
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Doug and all.
    Delay in answering your post as for some reason, my phone was useless on the internet.
    I did not see your post about checking the capacity percentage until I returned home, so that is why in April my checks were not complete.
    On my return to Hungary a couple of weeks ago, I checked the batteries and they were both at 3.85 volts per cell and at 51% capacity. When they were new, they were at 31% capacity.
    My new smaller batteries were also at 30% capacity and when I left on a storage charge, they are also at around 50%.
    The new, lighter 4S batteries are 1800mAh. On the first full charge they only gave me 89% capacity. I used them both, unfortunately they lasted about 6 minutes each, and recharged. This time they charged to 99% and lasted 10 minutes. Hopefully they get a little better after a few uses.
    I am now back in England and when I left, all of the batteries were at around 3.86 volts per cell an 50% capacity. I will check again at Christmas but I will have to see if the Danube freezes to see if I can use the boats then or not.πŸ˜‰
    Show 24 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info