• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Save £50 when you join Bulb
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    LiPo batteries
    by MouldBuilder πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Midshipman)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    27 Posts 26 Replies 3 Photos 27 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    MouldBuilder
    Midshipman
    πŸ“ LiPo batteries
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    It is almost 9 months since I charged the new LiPo batteries for storage. Unfortunately I still have not used the 4s 4500 batteries since then but I do check them every 4 months to see how they are. They have been good so I have not had to do anything with them. I decided on this visit to replenish the storage charge on all of the batteries. I was shocked to find out that all of the batteries were almost perfect with only a few minutes of charging required, but the two 4s batteries, the oldest, did not take a charge at all. They are still very good. I will use them when I return here in August.
    I promise I will finish a boat project before I start another......Maybe.
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ LiPo batteries
    Flag
    Online: 2 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Pete, welcome er Home?πŸ˜‰
    I'm not too surprised at your results with the new LiPos.
    That's exactly why it is recommended to put new LiPos through about min 6 max 10 charge / discharge cycles to 'condition' them, i.e. get 'em used to their working lifeπŸ˜‰

I'm not surprised at the short run times either. I seem to recall you have two hefty motors in your boat! Let's say (for simplicity) the motors draw 1.8A each. Therefore one motor would (theoretically!) run max 1 hour on a fully charged 1800mAh (1.8Ah) battery. Two such motors only half an hour etc etc.
    If (more realistically) they draw 10A together (probably more!) then they can theoretically run at that current for 0.18h or 10.8 minutes on a fully charged battery. QED.
    Theoretically cos you don't want to empty the battery and run it into 'Deep Discharge', i.e. less than MINIMUM 2.7V per cell. They don't like that and get stroppy; don't charge properly or worse 😲
    You get the drift! πŸ˜‰

If there's a danger of the river freezing over - you've got 4 months to build an Ice Breaker😁😁So get crackingπŸ˜‰
    Cheers, Doug 😎
    Young at heart - slightly older in other places πŸ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    MouldBuilder
    Midshipman
    πŸ“ LiPo batteries
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Doug and all.
    Delay in answering your post as for some reason, my phone was useless on the internet.
    I did not see your post about checking the capacity percentage until I returned home, so that is why in April my checks were not complete.
    On my return to Hungary a couple of weeks ago, I checked the batteries and they were both at 3.85 volts per cell and at 51% capacity. When they were new, they were at 31% capacity.
    My new smaller batteries were also at 30% capacity and when I left on a storage charge, they are also at around 50%.
    The new, lighter 4S batteries are 1800mAh. On the first full charge they only gave me 89% capacity. I used them both, unfortunately they lasted about 6 minutes each, and recharged. This time they charged to 99% and lasted 10 minutes. Hopefully they get a little better after a few uses.
    I am now back in England and when I left, all of the batteries were at around 3.86 volts per cell an 50% capacity. I will check again at Christmas but I will have to see if the Danube freezes to see if I can use the boats then or not.πŸ˜‰
    I promise I will finish a boat project before I start another......Maybe.
    Westquay
    Commander
    πŸ“ LiPo batteries
    Flag
    Online: 9 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    That's the one! Even recognise the writing. Very Germanic. I can only find it on a Polish site, so it figures I should go to one of the several Polish shops in out local town (Wisbech) which is very much Eastern Europe in Fenland these days. Many thanks. Let's hope I can get some.
    It seems mad that I paid 3-50DM for it in Sauerlach back then which was about Β£1-50, a derisory sum. Now it's about 7 quid if my Polish-Pound sums are right, but it's still well worth it. I hate dry wines, like most French. I see no point in paying through the nose for what I wouldn't even put on my chips!
    My favourite day to day wine is a Spatleser, although Chateau de Lardilay from Cadillac is rather nice. Sorry if the spellings are awry.

Thanks for the link!

Martin
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ LiPo batteries
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thanks John
    I hope Martin picks up on this. The SpΓ€tburgunders are something for him not me!
    They are 'Lieblich' wines, too sweet for me, cos the grapes are picked as late (spΓ€t) as possible and have a higher sugar content. Not all of which is converted to alcohol.
    BTW: i tried a few links with the result 'Not available at the moment'.
    Guess the spΓ€t crop is a bit limitedπŸ€”
    Cheers (!) Doug 😎
    onetenor
    Sub-Lieutenant
    πŸ“ LiPo batteries
    Flag
    Online: 3 months ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    See this lot Doug.----https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Erben+Merlot+Spattenburger...
    Enjoy Salut JohnπŸ˜‹πŸ‘
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Erben+Merlot+Spattenburger&oq=Erben+Merlot+Spattenburger&aqs=chrome..69i57.34947j1j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
    πŸ”—
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ LiPo batteries
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Martin,
    Yeah, you mentioned this about a year ago but as yet I haven't seen any of their wines. I don't get quite as far south for shopping as Sauerlach.
    The furthest I go south is the relatively new conglomerate of mega stores just outside Unterhaching. Then usually just for the garden centre and electronics store. But I have noticed that there is an 'Up Market' supermarket there. I'll keep me eyes peeled for you.
    Can you give me a net link for Erben?
    On reflection I think that one of the finest wines I have ever drunk was the Chablis at dinner in Cherbourg while visiting the CMN shipyard there. Superb fish as well πŸ˜‹
    A good Muscadet comes a close second thoughπŸ˜‹πŸ˜‹
    Prost, Doug 😎
    Westquay
    Commander
    πŸ“ LiPo batteries
    Flag
    Online: 9 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Which reminds me, Doug. Any sightings of what to me is the finest wine I ever drank (excepting Chateau d'Ychem..... Erben Merlot Spatbergunder. I bought it for a laughably low price in a little general stores in Sauerlach, a kind of quadrant of shops with a bit of parking available.
    I have found mention of it on the 'net, but not a supplier. So, if you do happen to see a bottle, would you get me at least three and I'll pay you immediately for the wine and the postage!

Cheers,
    Martin
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    πŸ“ LiPo batteries
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    A chaque un a son goΓ»t John πŸ˜‰

I'm not tooo surprised at your NiMh results. But I also think that you are correct that they won't last the proverbial 5 minutes on load.
    I had a similar experience last year when I retired and took stock of everything lying around in boxes and shelves in the so called workshop😲 Some also measured above the 'dead' voltage but collapsed within seconds of applying a load; a 540 motor running offload. They were consigned to the Great Recycling Centre in the sky πŸ€” The NiCads had preceded them by a decade or so!
    Since then I've restocked with LiPos where I have brushless and LiPo safe ESCs and NiMh for the 'brushed ships with older pre Lixx EScs.
    For heavier jobs like Graf Spee (3 x 600), HMS Belfast (4! x 385), U25 (2 x 385) I've restocked with 6V 4Ah SLAs.
    Have started compiling an XL spreadsheet to keep track of them; when last used / charged etc.

Oooops! Just discovered that Grauer Burgunder is an excellent cleaner for my inductive mouse pad 😲
    Prost allseits! Doug 😎
    onetenor
    Sub-Lieutenant
    πŸ“ LiPo batteries
    Flag
    Online: 3 months ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I don't intend using Lipos when I get back to actually boating and flying as I feel they are too much bother. Lion orABC or similar for me I think.I'll have to think more on it. I have Nimhs and A FEW Nicads .The Nimhs I know for certain are 13 yrs old at least and are showing 11.2v at 82% charge despite not being charged for 4 yrs. The Nicads 9.4v and 42% charge. Not as good; as we might expect but the others really surprised me when I metered them out.8 yrs lying in a blokes planes,boats and boxes and I got them 5 yrs ago.I charged them all and they've not been charged since.We'll have to see what happens under load etc. They might not last 5mins.πŸ€” John O/TπŸ‘
    I know some of you won't believe me so tuff. J😎
    Show 17 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info